Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/03/23 04:09:19 UTC

Re: Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers and bears... oh my

on 3/22/01 5:36 PM, "Kuster, Egon" <Eg...@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:

> which one has been around longer?

Turbine has been around *a lot* longer (we are talking years at this point).

I gave a +1 to Struts being started because Craig said that he wanted to
work together. That ended up not being the case and Struts is now a direct
competitor to Turbine.

My vote is for Turbine as I think that JSP sucks balls, but as the original
creator of the project and a consistent negative voice in JSP land (I have
been bashing it for years now), I'm seriously biased.

If you are considering JSP at all, this is highly recommended reading:

> Which is more mature?

No software is mature.

Which one offers the most tools for developing web applications and the most
generalized and extensible framework with the widest user base (meaning who
is doing the weirdest and most twisted things)? Turbine wins without a
doubt.

Quite a lot of the concepts in Struts are simply borrowed from patterns that
Turbine has been using from day one. Actions are a good example of that.

thanks,

-jon

Re: Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers and bears... oh my

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/23/01 1:16 AM, "Gunnar R|nning" <gu...@candleweb.no> wrote:

> So where did _you_ borrow actions from. GoF maybe ? Seriously while Turbine
> might be thr right thing for some people, it is not the right thing for
> others. I got serious problems with tying my applications to a product
> where there is no commitment to keeping APIs stable. There is no release
> yet either.

There have been tagged releases of Turbine based on the TDK and there have
been hundreds of people relying on those tagged versions (including the
jetspeed project).

> It may also be worth taking a look at Barracuda from the Enhydra camp. I
> haven't used it myself yet, but it looks pretty promising.

Explore all your options. I highly recommend it.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers and bears... oh my

Posted by Gunnar R|nning <gu...@candleweb.no>.
Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

> Quite a lot of the concepts in Struts are simply borrowed from patterns that
> Turbine has been using from day one. Actions are a good example of that.

So where did _you_ borrow actions from. GoF maybe ? Seriously while Turbine
might be thr right thing for some people, it is not the right thing for
others. I got serious problems with tying my applications to a product
where there is no commitment to keeping APIs stable. There is no release
yet either.

It may also be worth taking a look at Barracuda from the Enhydra camp. I
haven't used it myself yet, but it looks pretty promising.

regards,

	Gunnar

Re: Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers andbears... oh my

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/23/01 4:14 AM, "Ted Husted" <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jon Stevens wrote:
>> Quite a lot of the concepts in Struts are simply borrowed from patterns that
>> Turbine has been using from day one. Actions are a good example of that.
>
> Apparently, the W3 consortium is also borrowing for Turbine
>
> < http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#adef-action >
>
> -Ted.

Project A: Turbine
Project B: Struts

I didn't say that A invented it.

But, I am certainly saying that having two projects within Jakarta that use
the same exact design patterns to do the same exact things is silly.

Especially given that B was started under the notion of creating a shared
system instead of competition.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.