Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Kevin Steppe <ks...@pacbell.net> on 2001/01/23 19:33:34 UTC

Re: Log4j as "Source-Code Level" or "Compiled (black-box) Component"Reuse?

Personally I try to use packages as reused components as much as possible.  Open
Source projects tend to lack the extensive documentation generated by a
commercial projects documentation team so I find I often need to 'look under the
hood' to understand how things should get used.  For extensions polymorphism is
definately the way to go and having the source makes it -so- much easier to know
how to write a subclass.  Speaking of extensions, I have just written a
JDBCAppender for my employer.  If people are interested I could easily replace
the employer specific database stuff with standard JDBC and contribute it.

Kevin

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@urbanet.ch>.
At 11:15 23.01.2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've just started to look at log4j, and have a couple of questions:
>
>1. Is is possible to have different appenders that gets invoked for
>different priorities only?
>For example, I set the priority for the category to be INFO. Then, if for
>INFO logging I would like to log to a specific appender only, and for ERROR
>logging I would like to log to another appender only.

Roger,

See the Threshold option in AppenderSkeleton. BTW, this is already FAQ item.

>2. How would I enable the logging to a JMS topic? I assume I have to
>implement the Appender interface?

Log4j comes with a JMSAppender already.

>Thank you for contributing with such a cool tool!!

Thank you for thanking, :-) Ceki

----
Ceki Gülcü (cgu@urbanet.ch)

Re: JDBCAppender

Posted by Kevin Steppe <ks...@pacbell.net>.
I'll try to get it out by the end of this week.  I need to test it a little bit
more.

Kevin

Posted by Liu Xiao Hua <xi...@gridnode.com>.
Kevin:

Newbie question

RE: Log4j as "Source-Code Level" or "Compiled (black-box) Component"Reuse?

Posted by Roger Kjensrud <ro...@cj.com>.
Kevin,

I would be very interested in a JDBC appender....

Thanks,

Roger Kjensrud