Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <Al...@infosys.com> on 2009/03/09 10:41:48 UTC

Lucene 2.9

Hi,
When is Lucene 2.9 due? I am eagerly waiting for the new lucene to come.

As I compared Lucene with Minion I think Minion offers very rich capabilities like easier range query etc.

Is there any plans to have simpler queries for Numbers and Data?

No doubt lucene is the best Open Source Search library but I think Minion will catch up unless and until we make Lucene powerful to have pluggable query engine etc.

Lucene has strong user groups and also great tutorial. And best part is it is released in ASL.

Regards,
Allahbaksh

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah,
Software Engineering & Technology Labs,
Infosys Technolgies Limited, Electronics City,
Hosur Road, Bangalore 560 100, India.
*Board: +91-80-28520261 | Extn: 53915 | Direct: 41173915.
Fax: +91-80-28520362 | Mobile: +91-9845505322.
http://setlabs/slim/
http://allahbaksh.blogspot.com
Starting a startup is hard, but having a 9 to 5 job is hard too, and in some ways a worse kind of hard.

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Luis Alves <la...@gmail.com>.
Mark Miller wrote:
> Hmmm - you can probably get qsol to do it:
> http://myhardshadow.com/qsol. I think you can setup any token to
> expand to anything with a regex matcher and use group capturing in the
> replacement (I don't fully remember though, been a while since I've
> used it).
>
> So you could do a regex of something like : >=([0-9]+) and have it
> expand to [$1 rng Integer.Max] or something. Then handle the other cases.
>
> You also might come up with your own regex that you could apply to the
> standard Lucene query parser syntax, and pre-process using the same
> strategy.

Check the "New flexible query parser" thread in the java-dev,
This new parser if it is committed, has some of the features discussed
in this thread.

--
-Lafa

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

RE: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Michael McCandless
> <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>> Once added, something inside the index (a "write once" schema)
>> records
>> that this field is an IntField and then it's an error to ever use a
>> different type field by that same name.
>
> I dunno... coupling functionality to restrictions seems like it starts
> to erode some of Lucene's famous flexibility.
>
> Consider changing the type of a field from an int to a long... a
> reasonably smart app or user could delete and re-index documents with
> that field (it could be a small subset).  Or even keep track of what
> documents had an int field vs a long field (via filters or something).

This example is the exception not the rule, though (simple things
should be
simple... complex things should be possible).  I think we should make
this case possible, but it need not be simple.

EG one could always still use an untyped field to do expert things.

Whereas we have the reverse today: if I simply want to add a number
field to my docs, and search it by range and sort by it, it's far from
simple.

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Once added, something inside the index (a "write once" schema) records
> that this field is an IntField and then it's an error to ever use a
> different type field by that same name.

I dunno... coupling functionality to restrictions seems like it starts
to erode some of Lucene's famous flexibility.

Consider changing the type of a field from an int to a long... a
reasonably smart app or user could delete and re-index documents with
that field (it could be a small subset).  Or even keep track of what
documents had an int field vs a long field (via filters or something).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
markharw00d wrote:

> >>(a "write once" schema)
>
> I like this idea. Enforcing consistent field-typing on instances of
> fields with the same name does not seem like an unreasonable
> restriction - especially given the upsides to this.

And also when it's "opt-in", ie, you can continue to use untyped/
unrestricted fields.

> One note of caution is that users may be tempted to store primary
> keys as ints or longs and incur the overhead of trie encoding when
> there is no use case for range queries on these types of fields.
>
> I've often thought of field types as belonging to these broad
> categories (rather than ints/strings/longs etc):
> 1) Quantifiers -   used to express numeric quantities that are often
> queried in ranges e.g. price, datetime, longitude
> 2) Identifiers  -   designed to be unique e.g. urls, primary keys
> 3) Controlled vocabularies - enums e.g. male/female or public/private
> 4) Uncontrolled vocabularies - e.g free text
>
> "Ints" can be used to represent types 1 to 3 but the practical uses
> of them differ (range queries vs straight-look ups vs faceted groups)
> It seems like the likely use cases are more important than the raw
> data format (int vs long etc)

I like working by usage instead of underlying type, and I like this
breakdown.  It would allow us to do a better job defaulting the
settings for these fields types.

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by markharw00d <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
 >>(a "write once" schema)

I like this idea. Enforcing consistent field-typing on instances of
fields with the same name does not seem like an unreasonable restriction
- especially given the upsides to this.

It doesn't dispense with all the full schema logic in Solr but seems
like a useful baseline for supporting basic numeric field types well in
Lucene.

One note of caution is that users may be tempted to store primary keys
as ints or longs and incur the overhead of trie encoding when there is
no use case for range queries on these types of fields.

I've often thought of field types as belonging to these broad categories
(rather than ints/strings/longs etc):
1) Quantifiers -   used to express numeric quantities that are often
queried in ranges e.g. price, datetime, longitude
2) Identifiers  -   designed to be unique e.g. urls, primary keys
3) Controlled vocabularies - enums e.g. male/female or public/private
4) Uncontrolled vocabularies - e.g free text

"Ints" can be used to represent types 1 to 3 but the practical uses of
them differ (range queries vs straight-look ups vs faceted groups)
It seems like the likely use cases are more important than the raw data
format (int vs long etc)

Cheers
Mark

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
mark harwood wrote:

> Time for some standardised index metadata?

OK, thinking out loud...

What if we created IntField, subclassing Field.  It holds a single
int, and you can add it to Document just like any other field.

Once added, something inside the index (a "write once" schema) records
that this field is an IntField and then it's an error to ever use a
different type field by that same name.

This field would have int(number)-specific options, with good
defaults.  So eg one option would turn on Trie* indexing (would
default to on).  You could set zero padding, etc.

(And ShortField, LongField, FloatField, DoubleField, etc.; they could
all inherit from NumericField)

Couldn't we do this incrementally today?  It should be fully
back-compatible...

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
mark harwood wrote:

> This trie/parser issue is an example of a broader issue for me.

Yeah I agree.

There was also a new Document impl attached in Jira somewhere to more
strongly type fields (can't find it now), ie IntField, DateField, etc.

And it also ties into refactoring AbstractField/Fieldable/Field.

And eg KinoSearch has a fixed schema I believe.

I'm just wondering if we can somehow make incremental progress
here... it's ashame that most people who use Lucene will simply use
RangeQuery in its current incarnation since that's the "default".

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by mark harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
>>Maybe we could do something similar to declare that agiven field uses Trie*, and with what datatype.

With the current implementation you can at least test for the presence of a field called:
     [fieldName]#trie

..which tells you some form of trie is used but could be extended to include precision step value e.g.
     [fieldName]#trie_8

But - overall, I can't help but feel we will struggle to offer facilities like this when there is a lack of a formal schema for Lucene indexes.
Solr obviously includes some form of index definition - my Lucene-based apps tend to use a custom config and Luke could certainly benefit from some form of definition stored with the index.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Could we add APIs to QueryParser so the application can state the
> disposition
> toward certain fields?

overriding QueryParser.getRangeQuery() seems the most powerful and
flexible (and it's already there).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

RE: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah <Al...@infosys.com>.
Hi,
It is really nice idea to have something like if I am doing a query like amount >15 something depending upon the field and do query parsing. Basically we need have pluggable query parser which can convert different queries like amount >15  to lucene specified query.

That is what I think. I am using Lucene for long time and love to see this kind of stuff. Though Minin provided this I am not really happy with performance nor the GPL and probably it is love toward using things from Apache Foundation (Tomcat, Lucene, Common, HTTPD etc) .
Regards,

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

RE: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Uwe

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

RE: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah wrote:

> When is Lucene 2.9 due? I am eagerly waiting for the new lucene to
> come.

There have been some discussions on java-dev, but there's no clear
consensus/date yet.  We do have quite a few Jira issues marked as 2.9
at this point, which we need to make progress on or push out:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312682

> As I compared Lucene with Minion I think Minion offers very rich
> capabilities like easier range query etc.

Can you provide some detail on what's different about range queries,
or any other differences?  Is it the lack of numeric operators (<, <=,
 >, >=, !=) via QueryParser? Minion definitely looks like a neat
search engine.