Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Yibo Cai <yi...@arm.com> on 2021/10/20 04:43:16 UTC

Arm64 github runner

Hi,

We have free Arm64 instances (maintained by Arm) as github action
self-hosted runners for open source projects.
Arrow Arm CI is currently running on Travis. Is an additional Arm64
runner useful? I think we can build and verify Arm64 Linux releases on it.

Yibo

Re: Arm64 github runner

Posted by Yibo Cai <yi...@arm.com>.
Unfortunately the runner may not be available. Will update if things change.

Yibo

Re: Arm64 github runner

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 12:57 PM Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 2:55 AM Yibo Cai <yi...@arm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Some updates, @kou, @kszucs
> >
> > There are two kinds of runners provided. One is dynamic vm created on
> > demand like travis, suitable for github action runner to verify pr.
> > Another kind is static vm with pre-deployed os, simply an arm64 aws
> > cloud instance. Looks we prefer static vm as a crossbow runner.
>
> Correct. I'm not aware of any way to deploy a github-actions runner to
> ephemeral machines on demand.

Since you already linked to self hosted runners below I think you are aware
of
https://docs.github.com/en/actions/hosting-your-own-runners/autoscaling-with-self-hosted-runners
This docu page explains that it is possible to do this by using Github
webhooks + "your own autoscaling environment", i.e. you have to implement
it for your needs.
But this setup would require write permissions to the Github repo and this
is something that Infra team won't agree on!
https://docs.github.com/en/actions/hosting-your-own-runners/autoscaling-with-self-hosted-runners#authentication-requirements

"Your access token will require the following scope:

   - For private repositories, use an access token with the repo scope
   <https://docs.github.com/en/apps/building-oauth-apps/understanding-scopes-for-oauth-apps/#available-scopes>
   .
   - For public repositories, use an access token with the public_repo scope
   <https://docs.github.com/en/apps/building-oauth-apps/understanding-scopes-for-oauth-apps/#available-scopes>
   ."

public_repo Limits access to public repositories. That includes read/write
access to code, commit statuses, repository projects, collaborators, and
deployment statuses for public repositories and organizations. Also
required for starring public repositories.

> > Please note for security reasons, the runner cannot be accessed directly
> > from internet. Inbound connection requests are rejected. It can initiate
> > connections to other hosts. Is it okay for crossbow?
>
> Shouldn't be a problem, see
>
> https://docs.github.com/en/actions/hosting-your-own-runners/about-self-hosted-runners#communication-between-self-hosted-runners-and-github
>
> > Any security concern from crossbow side?
>
> Crossbow can only be triggered by trusted contributors, so with
> reasonable precautions we can maintain a low risk setup.

Shameless plug: I've recently blogged how to setup Linux ARM64 self-hosted
runners on Oracle Cloud for free:
https://martin-grigorov.medium.com/github-actions-arm64-runner-on-oracle-cloud-a77cdf7a325a
I hope it is useful to someone!

Regards,
Martin

Re: Arm64 github runner

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Arm64 github runner

Posted by Yibo Cai <yi...@arm.com>.
Some updates, @kou, @kszucs

There are two kinds of runners provided. One is dynamic vm created on
demand like travis, suitable for github action runner to verify pr.
Another kind is static vm with pre-deployed os, simply an arm64 aws
cloud instance. Looks we prefer static vm as a crossbow runner.

Please note for security reasons, the runner cannot be accessed directly
from internet. Inbound connection requests are rejected. It can initiate
connections to other hosts. Is it okay for crossbow? Any security
concern from crossbow side?

Re: Arm64 github runner

Posted by Yibo Cai <yi...@arm.com>.

Re: Arm64 github runner