Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/14 04:15:40 UTC

[BeanUtils] Breaking compatibility with 1.8.0-BETA

I've been looking at the memory leaks described in BEANUTILS-291[1]
and am considering making API changes that will break compatibility
with the BeanUtils 1.8.0-BETA release to remove one of the issues. The
changes however are in new Converter implementations added after the
previous BeanUtils 1.7.0 release and so compatibility with that
version will not be broken.

Briefly, I want to remove the Class parameter from AbstractConverter's
constructors (will also impact other implementations that derive from
it) and make the protected getDefaultType() method abstract.

IMO breaking compatibility with a *Beta* release is OK, but does
anyone have any objections to doing that?

Niall

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-291

Re: [BeanUtils] Breaking compatibility with 1.8.0-BETA

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> IMO breaking compatibility with a *Beta* release is OK, but does
> anyone have any objections to doing that?

+1
Breaking a Beta release is OK in my book

Stephen

Re: [BeanUtils] Breaking compatibility with 1.8.0-BETA

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 from me.  Go ahead and break it. :)

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/14/08, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Niall Pemberton
>
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
>  >  > How does removing the parameter solve the leaking?
>  >
>  >  Hi Paul,
>  >
>  >  I don't want to put you off, but I'm just in the process of writing up
>  >  some stuff that I'll post on the JIRA ticket - which is probably the
>  >  best place to discuss actual changes/issues. Really I was just looking
>  >  for opinions on breaking compatibility with a Beta release in this
>  >  thread - a heads up, rather than me going ahead and making changes
>  >  only to find people objecting if/when theres a release vote for
>  >  BeanUtils.
>

> Doesn't mean much as I'm such a liberal on the subject; but break
>  compat with beta release +1.

<snip/>

I think thats fine as well.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Paul Benedict
> <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> >  > How does removing the parameter solve the
> leaking?
> >
> >  Hi Paul,
> >
> >  I don't want to put you off, but I'm just in the
> process of writing up
> >  some stuff that I'll post on the JIRA ticket -
> which is probably the
> >  best place to discuss actual changes/issues.
> Really I was just looking
> >  for opinions on breaking compatibility with a
> Beta release in this
> >  thread - a heads up, rather than me going ahead
> and making changes
> >  only to find people objecting if/when theres a
> release vote for
> >  BeanUtils.
>
> Doesn't mean much as I'm such a liberal on the
> subject; but break
> compat with beta release +1.

Agreed; alphas, and to a lesser extent betas should
allow users (even those who are developers) to
identify problems.  If the API will be better for
being changed upfront like this, bleeding-edge beta
users should be agile enough to adapt.  That was a
risk they (hopefully knowingly) undertook.  We do
appreciate the fact that they are willing to step up
and act as guinea pigs, but if a change is for the
greater good...

-Matt

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.