Posted to users@camel.apache.org by gmh <go...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/28 17:26:55 UTC

Camel use case with Akka

All,
I am trying to investigate Akka and camel
Our use case is as follows:

Subscribe to websocket queue and retrieve json from the queue
process each json thru Camel routes (atomically)
assume large amount of data

What would the appropriate design as far as fail over/
dristributed/threading is concerned?
I am concerned that since Camel is single threaded(?) that we will not be
able to process a huge amount of data in a timely fashion.
What have your experiences been?
Is Akka a good choice? Any other options?
Gordon

Re: Camel use case with Akka

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gordon,

> Subscribe to websocket queue and retrieve json from the queue
> process each json thru Camel routes (atomically)
> assume large amount of data

You can achieve it with Camel alone or with Camel as the endpoint
point [1] delegating processing to the Akka.

> What would the appropriate design as far as fail over/
> dristributed/threading is concerned?

This is pretty wide question ;) Both Akka and Camel offers solutions
in this area.

> I am concerned that since Camel is single threaded(?) that we will not be
> able to process a huge amount of data in a timely fashion.

Camel can be multi-threaded and asynchronous [2] and will definitely
deal with the high message load :) .

> What have your experiences been?
> Is Akka a good choice? Any other options?

Have you considered using Vert.x?

Cheers.

[1] http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/snapshot/scala/camel.html
[2] http://camel.apache.org/async.html

--
Henryk Konsek
http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com

Re: Camel use case with Akka

Posted by gmh <go...@gmail.com>.
Great testimonials!
However, I am trying to understand when it is appropriate to use Akka within
the context of a Camel application? Maybe something along the line of the
following:
if your requirements are xyz.... then akka would/not be appropriate...

Assuming large steaming data coming from 1 websocket and each json received
will have to be operated on in an atomic fashion (single unit of work).

Gordon

Re: Camel use case with Akka

Posted by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de>.
Hi Gordon

I am using Akka in Combination with Camel within a distributed Retail application.
All application parts run on top of Karaf. So far I think, the combination of those
technologies is a good choice with respect to scalability and testability.

I had used Akka in other applications before and was reasonably happy with it and therefore I have not spent much time
with researching alternatives.

Best regards
Andreas