Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Turner, John" <JT...@AAS.com> on 2002/09/09 20:25:48 UTC

[OFF TOPIC] RE: How to make apache work both for https

mod_ssl is an Apache module, not a command line tool.

OpenSSL is a command line tool, not an Apache module.  mod_ssl is included
in the Apache 2.0.40 source, it may or may not have been included with the
Apache bundled by Sun.  You'll have to determine that yourself, and in
either case, you can always get mod_ssl from http://www.modssl.com.

You're using Solaris 8, please understand that Apache is an open source
project, and uses open source tools by default.  Solaris 8 may or may not
have open source tools like OpenSSL bundled with it or not...I don't have
access right now to a Solaris 8 machine to verify.

OpenSSL the command-line tool would be someplace like /usr/bin, not under
the Apache tree.  OpenSSL is a project all by itself, separate from Apache.
You can also look for /usr/local/ssl on Solaris.

If you still can't determine how to generate a CSR, my suggestion would be
to get the OpenSSL package for Solaris 8 from Sun Freeware at
http://www.sunfreeware.com .  Which, incidentally, a brand new version
(0.9.6g) just released on 09/04/2002.  You can also get OpenSSL from
http://www.openssl.org.

Again, here is a URL that specifically describes how to build and install
SSL using Apache (1.3.26 but it's practically the same), mod_ssl, and
OpenSSL:  http://www.modssl.com/example/  Since I posted the
http://www.modssl.com URL in reply to your original post a couple of days
ago, and the "examples" section is clearly labeled in the navigation menu
from the homepage, I can only assume that you chose not to explore the very
thorough modssl.com site as was suggested earlier...otherwise, you would
have found the examples and followed them.

At this point, being that: a) several URLs have been provided to you for
additional support and guidance, b) this is a tomcat list not an Apache
list, c) it seems to me that you prefer to ask open-ended, off-topic
questions on this list rather than find the information yourself (its freely
and easily available), and d) you are obviously root on your machine, I must
respectfully ask you to consult any of the significant number of other
resources available for help and support with basic UNIX sytems
administration tasks, whether Solaris related or not.  This list isn't the
place to post general "how do I perform sys admin tasks on my machine"
questions.

I realize I am to blame for answering your post, and other similar posts
from other people, and thus furthering the idea that help for all things
UNIX related can be found here, so I shall do my best to refrain from
answering such posts in the future.

John