Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/05 07:06:53 UTC

SEO and servlets

I was reading on Google the other day that it supports "many of the common
file types" including JSP ... but this led me to wonder if they index
servlets without file extensions, or how about common frameworks such as
Struts with the DO extensions.

Does anyone know how these file types index with Google and other major
engines?

Thanks.
Neal

RE: SEO and servlets

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Craig,

Thanks for the reponse.  I know what you're saying that you wouldn't want to
submit most web app pages, presuming that most of it is form data ... but in
this case I have a bit of content that was placed into dynamic pages because
(a) There is a common naivgation framework that is essentially included, (b)
in the case of the main page there is some 'weekly specials' data that gets
inserted into the content.  The framework I developed presumes XsLT for the
template rather than jsp, which means that I must use a servlet (in this
case with my own extension), and thus the concern.

So that's why I was wondering. I knew about the other issues such s have
params beyond the question mark (they won't be picked up)... again another
reason to use a servlet wherein *.abc would invoke the abc serlet and *
could introspectively obtained as a param .. I thought that might be a way
around it ... but I'm beginning to think perhaps not.  :(

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

> I was reading on Google the other day that it supports "many of the common
> file types" including JSP ... but this led me to wonder if they index
> servlets without file extensions, or how about common frameworks such as
> Struts with the DO extensions.
>
> Does anyone know how these file types index with Google and other major
> engines?

Different search engines follow different policies -- you'd have to ask
them how their spiders are programmed.  Most of them, probably, omit at
least some of the following types of URLs:
* URLs protected by an authentication constraint
* URLs matching patterns listed in the deny list of your
  "robots.txt" file
* URLs that have query parameters in them
* URLs that have no-cache headers in the returned content

Personally, I think it's somewhere between misleading and silly to index
pages from a web *applications* (as opposed to web sites)  based on an MVC
framework (like Struts).  Why?  Because the URL that a search engine
spider would submit doesn't necessarily have *anything* to do with the
output that gets rendered.

Consider a very common case where you have a form submit that goes to a
URL ending in ".../saveCustomer.do" in a Struts app.  If you've made any
errors that get caught by the validation rules, the original input form is
redisplayed.  On the other hand, if you did everything correctly, the next
page in your app's user interaction is displayed (probably a menu or
something).  But the URL is the same!

Which kind of output should a search engine index?

Web applications != Web sites

> Thanks.
> Neal

Craig

Re: SEO and servlets

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:06:53 -0800
> From: neal <ne...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: SEO  and servlets
>
> I was reading on Google the other day that it supports "many of the common
> file types" including JSP ... but this led me to wonder if they index
> servlets without file extensions, or how about common frameworks such as
> Struts with the DO extensions.
>
> Does anyone know how these file types index with Google and other major
> engines?

Different search engines follow different policies -- you'd have to ask
them how their spiders are programmed.  Most of them, probably, omit at
least some of the following types of URLs:
* URLs protected by an authentication constraint
* URLs matching patterns listed in the deny list of your
  "robots.txt" file
* URLs that have query parameters in them
* URLs that have no-cache headers in the returned content

Personally, I think it's somewhere between misleading and silly to index
pages from a web *applications* (as opposed to web sites)  based on an MVC
framework (like Struts).  Why?  Because the URL that a search engine
spider would submit doesn't necessarily have *anything* to do with the
output that gets rendered.

Consider a very common case where you have a form submit that goes to a
URL ending in ".../saveCustomer.do" in a Struts app.  If you've made any
errors that get caught by the validation rules, the original input form is
redisplayed.  On the other hand, if you did everything correctly, the next
page in your app's user interaction is displayed (probably a menu or
something).  But the URL is the same!

Which kind of output should a search engine index?

Web applications != Web sites

> Thanks.
> Neal

Craig