Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Christof Soehngen <Ch...@SYRACOM.DE> on 2004/03/10 12:26:25 UTC

VeriSign TSIK

Hello List,

I found many clues on the web (for example here: http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/1555291) that say: VeriSign will offer a "royalty free open source" library for java, for example via SourceForge.

Those articles are from 2002 and I could not find the libraries they talk about. What I did find was the TSIK included in Trust Gateway, that seems to be pretty far from being open source and royalty free (I didn't get any answer from a VeriSign sales person).

Does anyone of you have further information about this? I guess they planned to release it but never did?

Thanks,
Christof

RE: VeriSign TSIK

Posted by Cunningham David <cu...@bah.com>.
The Verisign TSIK is now bundled with their Trust Gateway which is not free.
You can still download an evaluation copy of the Trust Gateway and use the
TSIK once the eval is over.
http://xmltrustcenter.org/developer/verisign/tsik/download.htm

The Trust Gateway acts as a simple authenticator of SOAP messages and allows
a user to configure that certain WS-Security elements must be present
otherwise the message is rejected. They also have an adapter interface that
users can build to in order to add functionality to the gateway to act as a
PEP/PDP. The Verisign TSIK however has a pretty limited approach to
WS-Security and from personal experience is not as robust as WSS4J. I
wouldn't be surprised if Verisign drops it or provides limited support and
focuses more on their XKMS features in TSIK since this is one of their
target zones. They currently have a XKMS v1 responder setup and accessible,
and they either have or are in the process of setting up a v2 responder
(can't remember).

My personal opinion on the TSIK after talking with their developers is, they
thought it would take off but it had some interop problems with Axis so it
wasn't accepted the way they had hoped. By bundling it with their gateway
they can try to make a move to increase the usage and gain user acceptance.
However, after an eval, the gateway doesn't stand up to hardware based XML
firewalls such as DataPower based on the feature set. Should be interesting
to see how they grow the product though.

they started a project at sf and then they shut it down. no idea why though.

=====

Re: VeriSign TSIK

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.

=====