Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/10/30 16:59:31 UTC

GUMP suggestions

Two quick suggestions:

-- Although I haven't looked at the gen.java code recently, last time I did
it was effectively doing multiple transforms from source data in A to an
intermediate document B to get an output that it really wanted in C.  If
that's still the case, and if you don't ever directly use B, then you can
use this nifty xalan: extension that will do multiple transforms for you:
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html#pipedocument
Something like:
  xmlns:pipe="xalan://org.apache.xalan.lib.PipeDocument"
  <xsl:template match="/">
     <pipe:pipeDocument
          source="{$sourceA}"
          target="{$targetC}">
      <stylesheet href="step1.xsl"/>
      <stylesheet href="step2.xsl"/>
    </pipe:pipeDocument>
   </xsl:template>

-- An alternate 'meaning' to the name GUMP: Generate Update iMprove
Process.  Inspired by the discussion recently and Sam's wish to use this as
a way to improve apache projects processes in some ways... 8-)

- Shane
Long live GUMP!