Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/12 00:30:13 UTC

[ALL] DOAP file placement - move out of trunk?

The DOAP files are currently held under

/commons/proper/<component>/trunk/doap_<component>.rdf

This is sort of convenient for editting, but means the doap file gets
included in tags and branches and may get included in source.
If included in source, the release date may be missing or inaccurate.

The DOAP files are only needed for building projects.apache.org, so
don't really belong as part of the source.

So I think the files should be moved out of trunk.

They could be moved into the parent directory, i.e.

/commons/proper/<component>/doap_<component>.rdf

The advantage is that it is still part of the component SVN tree; the
disadvantage is that it is slightly awkward to update, as one must
checkout the folder using --depth filesonly.

Another possibility would be to create a separate directory for all
the DOAP files.
This would create a bigger workspace, but would be slightly easier to
use - omitting the --depth qualifier would not result in a huge
accidental checkout of all tags and branches.

[Whatever directory is chosen, it would be trivial to update the
projects.a.o build config file.]

Thoughts?

Re: [ALL] DOAP file placement - move out of trunk?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-03-12, sebb wrote:

> The DOAP files are currently held under

> /commons/proper/<component>/trunk/doap_<component>.rdf

> This is sort of convenient for editting, but means the doap file gets
> included in tags and branches and may get included in source.
> If included in source, the release date may be missing or inaccurate.

> The DOAP files are only needed for building projects.apache.org, so
> don't really belong as part of the source.

> So I think the files should be moved out of trunk.

I agree with Gary, if we move them to a different place we increase the
risk they are forgotten when a new release is made.

If we agree to move them out of the components' trunks then I'd prefer a
separate directory with all DOAP files.

Stefan

Re: [ALL] DOAP file placement - move out of trunk?

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Bene,

> As far as I understand, this was the intention of sebb's proposal (making
> sure that the DOAP doesn't get included in source distributions by moving
> it out of a components SVN directory).

my question was a remark indeed, I was not really looking for a reply.

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Simo,

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi, Seb

> But Onami does not appear in projects.apache.org!
>
> I could not find the Onami DOAP - where is it?

each Onami's component website's page has a <link /> element which
points to its related DOAP, i.e.

 * the main site <http://onami.incubator.apache.org/> points to the parent doap:

<link title="DOAP" rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml"
href="http://onami.incubator.apache.org/doap_org.apache.onami.parent.rdf"/>

 * the onami-logging component
<http://onami.incubator.apache.org/logging/> points to

<link title="DOAP" rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml"
href="http://onami.incubator.apache.org/logging/doap.rdf"/>

and so on.

HTH,
-Simo

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 March 2013 07:26, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> In my humble opinion, DOAP files should be auto-generated and
> published to public components sites.

Provided that it is possible to control the contents adequately, that
seems sensible.

> What's the reason to distribute it in the source archive, when
> releasing? DOAPs are intended to be consumed by crawlers/robots/...
> and doesn't affect the build at all.

Indeed, that is my point.

> In Apache Onami we are using the Maven DOAP Plugin[1] to built it and
> attach it to the site generation, it rebuilds every time the releases
> history, and populates metadata just grabbing them from the POM,
> avoiding manual maintenance of same metadata in two different places.

But Onami does not appear in projects.apache.org!

I could not find the Onami DOAP - where is it?

> Indeed, in components I've touched, I have always had to fill missing
> data of years of releases, and we often overlooked, while voting a
> release, that wrong DOAPs have been included in archives - have a look
> at the 1.2.2 tag of fileupload[1] where 1.2, 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 itself
> are missing.

Which suggests that having the doap in trunk does not actually help
with ensuring it is updated.
It would be easier to fix up the manually created doaps if they were
all in one directory.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

My thought would be to leave it where it is. I only want to fiddle with one
"place" (a SVN local dir) when working and releasing a project/component.
It seems to me that moving it out is asking for it to become out of sync.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory