Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/09/30 16:51:14 UTC

[Jakarta-cactus Wiki] Update of "GeneralDiscussions/Maven2Migration" by ZhongZheng

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-cactus Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by ZhongZheng:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-cactus/GeneralDiscussions/Maven2Migration

The comment on the change is:
Added problem and proposals.

- Discussion about [http://maven.apache.org/maven2  maven 2] migration.
+ This wiki page discusses the [http://maven.apache.org/maven2  maven 2] migration of Cactus.

+ ~+ '''Table of Contents''' +~
+
+ [[TableOfContents(3)]]
+
+ = Problem =
+
+ The current Cactus codebase is not maven-friendly. Since Cactus aims to support different versions of servlet spec (2.2, 2.3, 2.4), there are circular dependencies among subprojects, which make the maven migration difficult.
+
+
+ = Proposals =
+
+  * To decouple the subprojects.
+  * To re-organize the project structure in a maven-friendly way.
+  * It will be great if Cactus was intellegent enough to detect automatically the servlet version. Take `HttpServletRequestWrapper` as an example. Maybe we don't need to provide one `HttpServletRequestWrapper` per servlet spec version. We may try to implement a generic `HttpServletRequestWrapper` that supports all versions. For methods which are not supported by the servlet spec (for example, `getRequestURL()` is not supported by version 2.2), just throw out an `UnsupportedOperationException`. Thus we may make a codebase that is cleaner and easier to maintain.
+