Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve <st...@iprimus.com.au> on 2002/12/10 01:55:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2

Hey,
        Ive been using apache for a few years now and i am looking towards
to upgrade to apache 2. I just wanted to know if many people have problems
when updateing and how they find apache 2 compared to apache 1.3.x. Also has
apache 2 been stable for people?

Thanks
/Steve

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.
Simon Dassow wrote:
> Better say, that php isn't playing nice with Apache2....
> I've got goddamn php running... as cgi and with a suexec-patch (so i
> dont need to copy the php binary for every vhost).
> But i'm still waiting for the perfect solution: the perchild MPM.
> Last time i tried perchild, it worked for a few requests and than
> stopped serving.

I'm having the exact same problem.  I posted it here along with many of
the details I've observed, but got ZERO responses.

> If someone has hints and/or tips and tricks for the perchild mpm, please
> post them, we all want to know :-)

I have a server waiting for PerChild to be working correctly.  Right now
it just sits, I'm willing to test any patches or ideas that are offered.

Maybe I should see what is going on over on the developers list.

> But another problem is mod_perl, they havent released version 2.0 but
> are at 1.99_07 which seems to be stable enought for testing and/or small
> sites.

Yeah, from what I've seen the mod_perl seems to be working well enough.
  Actually the mod_php works on my 2.0 without problems.  Got the new
release of mod_python working well also.  Just need the PerChild MPM so
these modules run as the right user.

--
Chris

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2

Posted by Simon Dassow <ja...@area319.de>.
Better say, that php isn't playing nice with Apache2....
I've got goddamn php running... as cgi and with a suexec-patch (so i
dont need to copy the php binary for every vhost).
But i'm still waiting for the perfect solution: the perchild MPM.
Last time i tried perchild, it worked for a few requests and than
stopped serving.
If someone has hints and/or tips and tricks for the perchild mpm, please
post them, we all want to know :-)
But another problem is mod_perl, they havent released version 2.0 but
are at 1.99_07 which seems to be stable enought for testing and/or small
sites.

Regards,
Simon

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

Steve,

Posted by Ian Stuart <Ia...@ed.ac.uk>.
On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 00:55, Steve wrote:
> Hey,
>         Ive been using apache for a few years now and i am looking towards
> to upgrade to apache 2. I just wanted to know if many people have problems
> when updateing and how they find apache 2 compared to apache 1.3.x. Also has
> apache 2 been stable for people?
I've got both 1.3.x & 2.0.x servers running - there is no noticable
difference for a fairly normal, low-to-medium-volume web site.

I transfered my main home-site with no problems at all.
We transfered the "company's" main site, again, no real problems (we had
to spin-off another server for some stuff we'd got from a third-party,
but we'd installed the proxying stuff, so *I* think we came out ahead :)

There are a couple of issues surrounding the build process, but they can
be understood very easily.

Basically, standard (x)html & cgi will not care.

Mod_perl (and it's derivatives) require more work.

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty