Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Maryam Moazeni <mm...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/20 22:16:35 UTC

Derby Protocols

Hi,

What is the difference between this

"jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/"

AND

"jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/" ??

Thanks in advance,
--Maryam

Re: Derby Protocols

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Maryam Moazeni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the difference between this
>
> "jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/"
>
> AND
>
> "jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/" ??

"jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/" is the connection URL syntax used by the
derby network client driver (derbyclient.jar). Summary info is at:

   http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/cadminappsclient.html

"jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/" is the connection URL for the IBM DB2
Universal driver (db2jcc.jar). Summary info is at:

   http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/cadminapps810777.html

There are a couple other syntax differences between the two that I have
gotten tripped up on before. For example, with the db2jcc.jar driver,
there's a colon after the dbname and a semicolon at the end:

   'jdbc:derby:net://localhost:1527/bookstore:user=app;password=app;'

The embedded and the derby network client drivers both have a semicolon
after the db name and nothing at the end:

Derby network client driver:
   'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/bookstore;user=app;password=app'

Embedded driver:
   'jdbc:derby:bookstore;user=app;password=app'

I hope this helps.

regards,

 -jean

Re: Derby Protocols

Posted by Maryam Moazeni <mm...@gmail.com>.
Great, Thank a lot.

--Maryam

Re: Derby Protocols

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Derby Protocols

Posted by Suavi Ali Demir <de...@yahoo.com>.
derby:net is to connect to the network server, which could be running on another machine. it has host:port to connect to. You start the derby network server and it runs as a database server to serve many clients.

  jdbc:derby:dbname is used to connect to a local database in embedded mode (derby classes run as part of your application). in this case, derby is not running as a server listening on a port number. your application is the database engine in that case. there is no host:port in such urls. URL could be like:
  jdbc:derby:c:\databases\myproducts

  only 1 process at a time can use a local database using jdbc:derby:dbname connection.

  regards,
  ali