Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2006/09/11 10:50:10 UTC

[c++] Re: svn commit: r480 - C++ notes.

Alan Conway wrote:
> The linker is horribly slow on my machine (>2m per exe)  I'm not sure
> but I suspect my commit has made it worse. I'll look into it but I'd
> _really_ appreciate any ideas. I've found some google evidence that
> others have had speed problems with the gcc 4.1.1 linker but no answers
> yet.

I don't think this was anything you did. I have noticed it for a while.
One problem is that the current makefiles aren't that smart and the
linking involves unnecessary object files being passed in (especially
for some of the tests) in order to avoid specifying them explicitly.
More precise definitions using the dependencies should allow us to
improve a little...