Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> on 2012/05/08 22:36:58 UTC

Re: Droids status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by RichardFrovarp)

On 05/08/2012 05:28 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> ... I'm hoping that with the new committer (great!) you'll have a chance
>> to revitalize the project, but unless we start seeing some more
>> positive developments by the next report I think we need to start
>> considering alternative exit strategies for Droids. Incubation is not
>> meant to last indefinitely....
>
> I'm wondering if Droids could graduate to commons.apache.org - it
> seems to be one of these projects that's useful, but on which people
> typically work on an off depending on their needs, so it's hard to
> have sustained activity.

The project is basically trying to be rebooted now. A release would
greatly help. I was holding off starting the release process until the
new PPMC / committer could be officially part of the project, since we
don't have any hard deadline for getting a release done. Hopefully that
will help with activity.

The website is in need of being updated, especially with examples. I
have no idea as to when that would even be done, as I don't know who
would be willing and available to work on it.

Graduating to Commons might be a good option. You are right, activity is
going to depend on those doing work with it at that moment. When it does
what you need it to do, you just let it run.

I'm not sure how much activity we'll see over the next reporting period.

Richard

Re: Droids status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by RichardFrovarp)

Posted by Tobias Rübner <de...@tobr.eu>.
Hi,

I think a new release would be great to reboot the project.
We should start with cleaning up the project.
Currently I take a deeper look into the code and add some javadocs.

Running the maven site plugin also generates a nice project site.
I would like to update the site descriptor to generate a complete site
(e.g. http://hc.apache.org/).
That will make it much easier for us to update the project site.

We should also take a look into jira.
Maybe there are some issues, which should be included in the 0.2 release
or could be closed.

Tobias