Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dr Robert Young <rc...@aliconsultants.com> on 2005/07/14 04:00:04 UTC

cleaning whitelist?

How often should one "clean" the whitelist ?

Re: cleaning whitelist?

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Dr,

DRY> How often should one "clean" the whitelist ?

IMO: When the AWL rule misbehaves repeatedly and significantly (I
assume you're talking about the AWL database/rule).

And it's probably best, if AWL is working in general, but there's a
few individual From addresses that are causing problems, to clean out
just those and leave the rest.

Bob Menschel

RE: cleaning whitelist?

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
Dr Robert Young wrote:
> I was wondering since our whitelist database is currently >
> 8Mb and when looking at it, a vast majority are only /1 scores...
>

> On Jul 14, 2005, at 7:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>
>> Dr Robert Young wrote on Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:00:04 -0400:
>>
>>> How often should one "clean" the whitelist ?
>>
>> Unless there is a problem: never.
>>
>> Kai
>>
>> --
>> Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
>> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com
>> IE-Center: http://ie5.de & http://msie.winware.org

I would suggest it depends on the volume of mail going through your server
and your users email-habits. A lot of one-time AWL entries are spammers, but
certainly not all. Seeing how AWL works, it cannot harm anyone doing an
occasional cleanup.
A few (recent) legitimate entries are lost, but the chance that this will
lead to a false positive or false negative is small.

Cleaning the database as much as once a day is a bad idea, even cleaning
once a week may/will do more harm than good. With once a month, you should
be in the clear, but the best way would to just keep an eye one it, and
clean it when you notice there are too many one-time entries.

Do something like '<check_whitelist> <auto-whitelist location> | grep "/1)
--" | wc -l' to count the one time-entries.

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus

Re: cleaning whitelist?

Posted by Dr Robert Young <rc...@aliconsultants.com>.
I was wondering since our whitelist database is currently > 8Mb and
when looking at it, a vast majority are only /1 scores...

On Jul 14, 2005, at 7:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Dr Robert Young wrote on Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:00:04 -0400:
>
>> How often should one "clean" the whitelist ?
>
> Unless there is a problem: never.
>
> Kai
>
> --
> Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com
> IE-Center: http://ie5.de & http://msie.winware.org

Dr. Robert Young
ALI Database Consultants
1151 Williams Dr
Aiken SC 29803
USA

WWW: http://www.aliconsultants.com
Tele: 1-803-648-5931
Toll free in US: 1-866-257-8970 Fax:1-803-641-0345
Email: rcyoung@aliconsultants.com
"Source of Rdb Controller, software for database analysis &
performance tuning"

Re: cleaning whitelist?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.