Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by David Salinas <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/21 11:25:19 UTC

Closure issue with spark 1.4.1

Hi,

I have a problem when using spark closure. This error was not appearing
with spark 1.2.1.

I have included a reproducible example that happens when taking the closure
(Zeppelin has been built with head of master with this command mvn install
-DskipTests -Pspark-1.4 -Dspark.version=1.4.1 -Dhadoop.version=2.2.0
-Dprotobuf.version=2.5.0). Does anyone ever encountered this problem? All
my previous notebooks are broken by this :(

------------------------------
val textFile = sc.textFile("hdfs://somefile.txt")

val f = (s: String) => s+s
textFile.map(f).count
//works fine
//res145: Long = 407

def f(s:String) = {
    s+s
}
textFile.map(f).count

//fails ->

org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 566
in stage 87.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task 566.3 in stage
87.0 (TID 43396, XXX.com): java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
Lorg/apache/zeppelin/spark/ZeppelinContext; at
java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields0(Native Method) at
java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredFields(Class.java:2583) at
java.lang.Class.getDeclaredField(Class.java:2068) ...
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1924) at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1801)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1351) at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:2000) at

Best,

David

Re: Closure issue with spark 1.4.1

Posted by David Salinas <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have tried this example after
https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/pull/270.

But it is not working for several reasons:

1/ Zeppelin context is not found (!):
val s = z.input("Foo")
<console>:21: error: not found: value z

2/ If I include my jar, the classpath is not communicated to slaves, the
code works only locally (it used to work on the cluster before this
change), I guess there is something wrong with the way I set the classpath
(which is also probably linked to 1/)

I have added this line in zeppelin-env.sh to use one of my jar
export ZEPPELIN_JAVA_OPTS="-Dspark.driver.host=`hostname`
-Dspark.mesos.coarse=true -Dspark.executor.memory=20g -Dspark.cores.max=80
-Dspark.jars=${SOME_JAR} -cp ${SOME_CLASSPATH_FOR_THE_JAR}

How can one add its extraclasspath jar with this new version? Could you add
an ZEPPELIN_EXTRA_JAR, ZEPPELIN_EXTRA_CLASSPATH to zeppelin-env.sh so that
the user can add easily his code?

Best,

David

Posted by David Salinas <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Moon,

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Steven Kirtzic <st...@statefarm.com>.
Hi Moon,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM, David Salinas <da...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Moon,
I found another way to reproduce the problem:
//cell 1 does not work
val file = "hdfs://someclusterfile.json"
val s = z.input("Foo").toString
val textFile = sc.textFile(file)
textFile.filter(_.contains(s)).count
//org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 41 in stage 5.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task 41.3 in stage 5.0 (TID 2735,XXX.com ): java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Lorg/apache/zeppelin/spark/ZeppelinContext;
// cell 2 works

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi David, Jerry,

Posted by Jerry Lam <ch...@gmail.com>.