Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Aish Fenton <af...@netflix.com> on 2016/11/04 19:52:53 UTC

%dep deprecated or not?

Hi all,
Can someone clear up if %dep is going to be deprecated? From the docs and
warning messages it sounds like that's still the plan. But from an in
person conversation I've had with Moon, it sounded like maybe not (although
this was a while back)?

If it's depreciated, that'll leave a big gap for us. Our typical workflow
involves us exchanging notebooks (export/import of the json) fairly
regularly. And every notebook has different library dependencies. Being
able to specify these inline, in the notebook, is really useful.

I remember the concern with %dep was with adding jars dynamically? If this
is still true, then maybe a compromise would be to keep a way of
documenting the jar dependencies per notebook, but when the user loads that
notebook prompt them with "Jar X is missing, click yes to add to your Spark
interpreter dependencies". So have it function more like an automatic way
to fill in the GUI dependencies settings, but at least it keeps the
self-documenting functionality too.

Aish

Re: %dep deprecated or not?

Posted by Aish Fenton <af...@netflix.com>.