Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Duncan Krebs <du...@krebsnet.com> on 2004/04/06 23:40:38 UTC

Tomcat License

I understand that tomcat lives under the apache license but still have some confusion over it. Some clarity would be an answer to this question.

Is it legal to take a project like tomcat wrap a homegrown installer around it, add some value added functionality and then put it in a box and sell it? Or is it not that simple?

- Duncan

Re: Tomcat License

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
The short answer is: Yes, it is legal to do what you want, provided that you
adhere to the conditions of the license.  In fact this is similar to what
Sun does with its J2EE product.

However, I'm not a lawyer (and you probably won't find too many lurking on
this list :).  Trusting my opinion shouldn't be a substitute for grabbing a
copy of the license (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0) and getting
a professional opinion.

Re: Tomcat License

Posted by Yan Lin <ya...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, I took a brief look at the lisences page, and it's
pretty complicated.  at first I was going to say that
as long as you keep whatever you are doing
open-sourced, you should be fine.  but then I think
it's always a good idea to ask someone who knows about
this stuff, do some research too to see if there is
any precedence.

-Yan