Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Support <su...@xcaptor.com> on 2018/04/16 20:06:19 UTC

ava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base xxxx does not exist or is not a readable directory

Having trouble starting up the application on a new dev AWS server.

 Tomcat says….

SEVERE: Error initializing static Resources

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/home/testuser/resources/Raptor
does not exist or is not a readable directory

But if you see below folder/permissions even after 777 it still says not a
readable directory.

drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root    35 Apr 16 14:45 /home/

drwxrwxrwx. 3 root tomcat  23 Apr 16 13:26 /home/testuser

drwxrwxrwx. 3 root tomcat  20 Apr 16 13:26 /home/ testuser/resources/

drwxrwxrwx. 7 root tomcat 170 Apr 16 13:27 /home/testuser /resources/Raptor/

If I change the document base to /user/share/tomcat/webapps this error goes
away.

Also, we have been using this application for 2 years and having trouble
setting up on new servers.

Any clues to troubleshoot is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: ava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base xxxx does not exist or is not a readable directory

Posted by Support <su...@xcaptor.com>.
Thank you Olaf!

777 was given as last resort to see if this is really file permissions
issue.

Because of copy/paste and renaming to a dummy folder name, there was an
extra space so please ignore.

testuser is not an actual user but a repository for web files so tomcat
user can access it. The reason why we did not keep www files in %tomcat%
because during upgrades it gets wiped.

Regards,

Usha

Customer Support Engineer