Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Richard Evans <ri...@datanomic.com> on 2011/05/09 13:39:05 UTC

ApacheDS status and future

Hi

We're looking at embedding ApacheDS into our java application, but I'm a bit concerned as to the status of the project.

The last release was over a year ago and whilst this seems very functional, I get the impression that major changes are in the pipeline - discarding XML based configuration, for example.

So is this the right time to start embedding?  Is a new release due shortly? Will the online documentation get improved?  What is the status of the triplesec stuff - there is a link to this on the front page but I can't see it anywhere in svn.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great project, I just need to know what to do with it.

Thanks

Richard Evans

Re: ApacheDS status and future

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/11 1:39 PM, Richard Evans wrote:
> Hi

Hi,
> We're looking at embedding ApacheDS into our java application, but I'm a bit concerned as to the status of the project.
Valid point :) Let's try to see what's going on.
> The last release was over a year ago and whilst this seems very functional, I get the impression that major changes are in the pipeline - discarding XML based configuration, for example.
Right. We decided to go with OSGi, because it opens many doors, for
instance. We also decided that Spring was not the right solution, and
that a LDIF based configuration was easier to manage, including when you
want to modify the server config without having to restart it.

Nevertheless, the LDAP part is still offering the very same features
that it was before. We are just polishing some others and also add some
new important ones:
- pluggable elements
- multi-master replication
- disaster recovery system

> So is this the right time to start embedding?  Is a new release due shortly?
We expect to go for quicker releases soon. The 1.0/1.5 etc release
schema was probably not a good idea, and we now are moving toward a
2.0.0-M1 release in the next 2 months. The idea is to be able to go for
very fast release (like once a month) with each release offering some
new feature (a bit à la eclipse).
> Will the online documentation get improved?
Well, hmmm, this is an open source project, and it's difficult to get
the doco written by coders... :/
> What is the status of the triplesec stuff - there is a link to this on the front page but I can't see it anywhere in svn.
It has been moved to a dormant status atm. We simply don't have time to
kiss it and wake him up atm. But as soon as the underlying pieces are in
a decent shape (ie 2.0.0-RC1), then TSec will probably be revived.
> Don't get me wrong, this is a great project, I just need to know what to do with it.

It's really up to you.  We can't make any promise, we ca just say we are
working hard to get a release out this year.

Also keep in mind that ApacheDS is not only about the server : we also
have released a LDAP API last week, and we have to get it polished at
the same time (this API is internally used by the server). We also have
heavy developements going on on Studio.

Lots of work for a bright future hopefully !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com