Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Mark Chu-Carroll <mc...@apache.org> on 2014/07/17 20:46:14 UTC

Python versions (redux)

A couple of months ago, we had a discussion about which python versions to
support. (See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-aurora-dev/201404.mbox/%3CCAFGkSCk71%2BziUQCsnMfStr-ucrT52DLEgBfHA-o097683PstLQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
to refresh your memory.)

At the time, we punted on it, because we had a convenient workaround. But
python version issues have continued to pop up from time to time. In
particular, we've had issues like the current
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-585.

The question that I'd like to put forward is: how much effort is it work to
continue to support Python 2.6? The Python maintainers are no longer
maintaining 2.6 - the download page for the last release of 2.6 says:
 "With the 2.6.9 release, and five years after its first release, the
Python 2.6 series is now officially retired. All official maintenance for
Python 2.6, including security patches, has ended. For ongoing maintenance
releases, please see the Python 2.7 series. The NEWS file lists every
change in each alpha, beta, release candidate, and final release of Python
2.6."

We certainly *can* continue to support Python2.6, but it's likely to be a
non-trivial effort. Is it worth it?

(Full disclosure, in case it's not obvious: I think as a provider of a
distributed computing platform, continuing to support a python interpreter
that won't even get security fixes is not a good idea. I'm in favor of
dropping 2.6.)

     -Mark

Re: Python versions (redux)

Posted by Kevin Sweeney <ke...@apache.org>.
+1 to dropping 2.6

Re: Python versions (redux)

Posted by Joe Smith <ya...@gmail.com>.
Me as well- thanks for bringing this up!

Re: Python versions (redux)

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.

Re: Python versions (redux)

Posted by Bhuvan Arumugam <bh...@apache.org>.

<mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> A couple of months ago, we had a discussion about which python versions to
> support. (See
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-aurora-dev/201404.mbox/%3CCAFGkSCk71%2BziUQCsnMfStr-ucrT52DLEgBfHA-o097683PstLQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> to refresh your memory.)
>
> At the time, we punted on it, because we had a convenient workaround. But
> python version issues have continued to pop up from time to time. In
> particular, we've had issues like the current
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-585.
>
> The question that I'd like to put forward is: how much effort is it work to
> continue to support Python 2.6? The Python maintainers are no longer
> maintaining 2.6 - the download page for the last release of 2.6 says:
>  "With the 2.6.9 release, and five years after its first release, the
> Python 2.6 series is now officially retired. All official maintenance for
> Python 2.6, including security patches, has ended. For ongoing maintenance
> releases, please see the Python 2.7 series. The NEWS file lists every
> change in each alpha, beta, release candidate, and final release of Python
> 2.6."
>
> We certainly *can* continue to support Python2.6, but it's likely to be a
> non-trivial effort. Is it worth it?
>
> (Full disclosure, in case it's not obvious: I think as a provider of a
> distributed computing platform, continuing to support a python interpreter
> that won't even get security fixes is not a good idea. I'm in favor of
> dropping 2.6.)
>
>      -Mark

Bhuvan Arumugam
www.livecipher.com