Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/10/16 20:54:35 UTC

Javadoc plugin doesn't report errors

The Javadoc plugin (I'm using 1.7) doesn't seem to report any errors in
the Javadocs, such as missing @param comments, etc. It creates the docs
just fine, but even if I deliberately create errors, the plugin doesn't
tell me about them. This gives me a lot less confidence that my Javadocs
are accurate...

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

TIA.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Javadoc plugin doesn't report errors

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
"Shinobu Kawai" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Brett,
>
> > I've never seen it happen, or a property that would cause that, so it
> > may be a bug - sounds odd though.
> >
> > Anything we can reproduce it on?
> It will reproduce anywhere, but this is not a bug.  Mere Javadoc
> behaviour.  It doesn't check for missing comments or tags.  Just
> misused ones.

Darn it, you're right. I'm sorry. I guess I've been confusing the output
from Javadoc and Checkstyle, since the latter does complain about these
things.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
"Brett Porter" <br...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ah, right.
>
> I've never seen it happen, or a property that would cause that, so it
> may be a bug - sounds odd though.
>
> Anything we can reproduce it on?

You could try Commons FileUpload. I don't know if there are any errors right
now (because of this problem), but you could always add your own. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
ah, right.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

> The Javadoc plugin (I'm using 1.7) doesn't seem to report any errors in
> the Javadocs, such as missing @param comments, etc. It creates the docs
> just fine, but even if I deliberately create errors, the plugin doesn't
> tell me about them. This gives me a lot less confidence that my Javadocs
> are accurate...
If you're interested, I've made a DocCheck plugin.
    http://sylow.no-ip.com/pub/apache/maven/plugins/maven-doccheck-plugin-1.2b2.jar
Still under development.  Currently, it's just a copy of the Javadoc
plugin, using a different Doclet.  You'll need to download the
DocCheck doclet from Sun, and copy it to your local repository
(license issues).

Best regards,
-- Shinobu Kawai

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Re: Javadoc plugin doesn't report errors

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
Martin,

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 15:54, Martin Cooper wrote:
> The Javadoc plugin (I'm using 1.7) doesn't seem to report any errors in
> the Javadocs, such as missing @param comments, etc. It creates the docs

Have you tried the new Javadoc Warning Report (see links below)?

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPJAVADOC-35

-- Felipe

PS: note that the report does not work correctly on JDK 1.3
PPS: is the new report documented on the site? If it isn't, where should
we document it (as it's not exactly just a goal)?