Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2003/07/01 18:15:25 UTC

Re: finalize style wiki?

+1

Isn't that something I should have done months ago? Hmmm. :-)

On 30.06.2003 22:38:47 Victor Mote wrote:
> I have added all of the checkstyle default values into our checkstyle.cfg
> file (making sure that before & after results are identical), so that it is
> easier to see what our de facto standards are. This may also prevent
> problems later if checkstyle changes their defaults. And Peter, it may be of
> some use to you as you bring the checkstyle 3.1 stuff up.
>
> Is it agreeable to everyone to move the resolved Style wiki issues to an
> html page under our dev tab? (This is in keeping with my philosophy that
> wiki are temporary whiteboard areas that should usually have a limited
> life -- I am not sure that everyone agrees with this.)

Jeremias Maerki

RE: finalize style wiki?

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Victor Mote wrote (on July 7):

> Please review the remaining issues & comment/vote on them so that
> we can get
> them resolved & be done with style issues for awhile:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPDevelopersStyleGuide
>
> At some point, I will clean out any topics that have no content or
> discussion, or that are not resolved.

OK, I have removed the following sections, which were either empty, were
already resolved, had all negative votes, or which attracted no new
comments:
  * Declaration Placement (empty)
  * Grouping of Imports (empty)
  * Scope and Reuse of Variables (2-2 split vote, confusion about the
content, no explanation forthcoming)
  * How to Use Certain Control Structures (empty)
  * Higher Design Patterns to Apply (empty)
  * Glossary (3 negative votes, no positive)
  * Exception Handling (Remaining) (no new content, these are design issues
that are being addressed in other places on the project)
  * Mailing List Usage (all this content is now on our maillist.html page on
the website)

This leaves the following topics:
  * Checkstyle version
  * Spelling Rules
  * Personal Attribution

Please review the wiki again to make sure that you have weighed in on any
topics you think are important:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPDevelopersStyleGuide

Any that aren't resolved in the near future will be deleted, and can be
reopened on the mailing list or the wiki.

Victor Mote

RE: finalize style wiki?

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
The first pass on the new Conventions (style) page has now been published. I
have moved some additional content from the wiki to the Conventions page,
and this newer version can be viewed at:
http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-fop/dev/conventions.html

I have also cleaned the resolved items out of the wiki, and moved the
remaining footnotes up to be closer to the topic to which they refer. There
are several items that were not clear enough for me to tell whether we are
done with them or not, so I just left them.

RE: finalize style wiki?

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
I have taken a first pass at moving the style wiki to our web site. The
current (unpublished) contents can be viewed at:
http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-fop/dev/conventions.html

The only intentional substance change that I made in this process is that
"Fully qualify all import statements" has been moved from "should" to
"must", since this is enforced by checkstyle.

Most of the "should" stuff has been restyled into a "best practices"
section.

Since the goal here is to move *only* those things that are truly resolved,
please let me know if you see anything that I have misinterpreted as
resolved, but is actually still open. If there are no objections, in a
couple of days I will clean these items out of the wiki.

Victor Mote