Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2011/07/08 23:16:41 UTC

ooo blog (was: RE: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?)

Ok, so nobody has approached Infra yet, I'll be proactive and create it, then we
need a list of people who will be admins and those that will be publishers.

Let's start with the name of blog, unlike other things, the blog name should be
permanent and reflect the name that the project will have upon graduation
to a TLP. (Migrating/renaming blogs is a royal pita so we don't do it.)

Apache openoffice.org should be the name of the Blog ?

Gav...

RE: ooo blog (was: RE: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
And I'm willing to publish but not that keen on admin.

 - Dennis

On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> [...]

Apache OpenOffice.org

Capitalization is important in the branding. We have been abbreviating ourselves as AOOo.

I'm willing to admin, but I don't necessarily want to be a publisher.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Reminder: you will need some folks with the appropriate Admin role to
moderate (or screen out) comments on your blog.  I imagine once you
start posting you may get a number of readers.

Folks may also be interested in following Planet Apache:
   http://planet.apache.org/

- Shane

Re: ooo blog

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
And of course thanks for being proactive.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 07/08/2011 03:05 PM, David McKay wrote:
> Doesn't the dropping of the .org imply renaming the product not just the
> project? The name of the product is OpenOffice.org because the name
> OpenOffice was registered elsewhere. If the new name was 'Apache
> OpenOffice' would that be different enough from the other OpenOffice (a
> company inthe Netherlands I believe) to not cause problems?
>
> Back when it was Sun's OpenOffice.org and then Oracle's OpenOffice.org
> the 'Sun' and 'Oracle' didn't make it into part of the product name
> itself. (I'm just curious. I'd like to see the back of the .org myself.)
>
> Dave.

Yeah, once upon a time, when you did a search on "Open Office", the
*other* office suite, whoever owned this brand, came up (like maybe 6+
years ago). Now it doesn't, but we should ascertain the status or
history of this before changing the product/brand name I think, just to
be safe.

> On 08/07/11 22:36, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> AFAIK we have not yet decided if we want to remove the ".org"
>> extension or keep like it was in the old project.
>>
>> BTW:
>> What will be the URL name?
>>
>> So, before a name will be setup we should clarify these things first.
>>
>> Marcus

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose

Re: ooo blog

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Dave Fisher wrote:

> Yes. When I volunteer to admin, but not publish, I am saying that I am not going to be a blogger (if I can avoid it.) I would only correct obvious errors and omissions. There should be at least one other admin as well.

I will offer to assist Dave with the admin part.  I am not a blogger as
well, if that makes any difference.

Andy

Re: ooo blog

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 8, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> [...]

(An aside - I experimented with Roller quite a bit a few years ago. We had it running in Tomcat with different Domain Names in different VHosts. That required weird symbolic links and a configuration that makes Apache Tomcat developers sick. Roller seems to load about 4000 classes.)

> * Note invitations must be to existing blog accounts, and blog accounts are
> created by Infra (mainly me) and are not LDAP aware at this stage.

I take it you would like to batch the account setup. Do you want to start a clock on the first signups? Say 72 hours?

Best Regards,
Dave

RE: ooo blog

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Re: ooo blog

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/09/2011 12:05 AM, schrieb David McKay:
> Doesn't the dropping of the .org imply renaming the product not just the
> project? The name of the product is OpenOffice.org because the name
> OpenOffice was registered elsewhere. If the new name was 'Apache
> OpenOffice' would that be different enough from the other OpenOffice (a
> company inthe Netherlands I believe) to not cause problems?

I don't know, I'm not a lawyer. It was just a hint to think about new
things. You know: new game --> new possibilities. ;-)

> Back when it was Sun's OpenOffice.org and then Oracle's OpenOffice.org
> the 'Sun' and 'Oracle' didn't make it into part of the product name

It was the decision of the companies not to do it.

> itself. (I'm just curious. I'd like to see the back of the .org myself.)

That's OK.

BTW:
Publish permission means I can write articles and admin rights means to

Posted by David McKay <dm...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Indeed, the podling will need to conform to the Apache Project Branding
Requirements before it graduates to TLP:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Note that a key requirement is using a project (and product) name in the
form of "Apache Foo".  What the Foo is is up to the project to decide.
In this case, I'd imagine the PPMC would work on the specific naming
later on, after the community gels for a while and has at least one
release put out.

Note that in this case I imagine the ASF will continue to maintain the
openoffice.org URL(s), given the large set of pre-existing users and
software installed that might phone home.  However once the project
graduates to TLP, I would expect the primary landing URL that we use
publicly in future collateral to be on an apache.org domain.

- Shane

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
Gavin McDonald wrote:
> Ok, the URL can be anything that starts off with blogs.apache.org/
>
> So that can be
>
> blogs.apache.org/ooo
> blogs.apache.org/openoffice
> blogs.apache.org/openofficeorg
>
> (no dots or caps in the url Im afraid)

For the blog url I would choose one of the longer speaking version, not
'ooo'. As a blog will also be visited by people that are not yet
familiar with the typical project abbreviations, I would rate a more
describing url to be more inviting.
I am still undecided on the org extension.

Kind regards,
Ingrid

RE: ooo blog (was: RE: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?)

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

etc..

The Title of the blog can be flexible too, I just checked and indeed it can be
renamed,

example:

https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/

has the title

'The Apache Software Foundation Blog'

http://blogs.apache.org/infra/

has the title

'Apache Infrastructure Team'

so I think therefore please choose a URI to use and
we can use something like

'Apache OpenOffice blog' or
'Apache OpenOffice.org blog'

as a title, noting that this can be renamed at any point.

Sorry for the confusion.

Gav...

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

> [...]