Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net> on 2002/06/06 20:48:44 UTC

[VOTE] Remove MatcherFactories, SelectorFactories

All,

Matcher and selector factories are deprecated as of 2.0rc2. Please cast
your votes:

Shall we remove them from 2.0.3?

Shall we remove them from 2.1?

Vadim

Re: [VOTE] Remove MatcherFactories, SelectorFactories

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Peter Royal" <pr...@apache.org>

> On Thursday 06 June 2002 02:48 pm, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > Matcher and selector factories are deprecated as of 2.0rc2. Please cast
> > your votes:
> >
> > Shall we remove them from 2.0.3?
>
> -1, since that is still a point-release from the original 2.0

-1 same reason.

Every problem has a solution.
But every solution has it's problems ;-)

> > Shall we remove them from 2.1?
>
> +1, thar be lots of changes in 2.1!

+1

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [VOTE] Remove MatcherFactories, SelectorFactories

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Christian Haul [mailto:haul@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
>
> On 06.Jun.2002 -- 04:26 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > > BTW, when are we releasing?
> >
> > ASAP if we will have 2.0.4. Later if not - there are some issues to
> > address...
>
> C'mon, how many times have we agreed to come back to the "release
> often" maxime? Shouldn't we try to release (bi-) monthly bugfixes?

We should.

> +1

Ok.

Vadim

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.

-0

> > BTW, when are we releasing?
>
> ASAP if we will have 2.0.4. Later if not - there are some issues to
> address...

C'mon, how many times have we agreed to come back to the "release
often" maxime? Shouldn't we try to release (bi-) monthly bugfixes?

+1

	Chris.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> From: "Peter Royal" <pr...@apache.org>

> > > IIRC, the deprecation -> removal cycle was defined on this list as
> > > "deprecate, wait 3-4-5-6 month, remove", but was not tied to the
version
> > > numbering.
> > >
> > > Am I wrong?
> >
> > No, you're right.
> >
> > My logic was thus:
> >
> > 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3
> >   should be a relatively painless upgrade, mainly bugfixes, few new
> > features.
> >
> > 2.0.x -> 2.1
> >   will require some effort to adapt to new changes.
> >
> > Why not lump in with the 2.1 changes and remove one less (potential)
> > hurdle
> > in a 2.0.x -> 2.0.3 upgrade.
> >
> > I guess I'm more -0. The change won't impact me, but why not wait
for 2.1
> > to impact those that will be.
>
> 2.0.3 means third bugfix release of 2.0.

Ahem... Scroll through 2.0 -> 2.0.1 changes... Or 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2... I
don't feel that this could be called *bug fix* release :)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Peter Royal" <pr...@apache.org>

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 06 June 2002 03:19 pm, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > > your votes:
> > >
> > > Shall we remove them from 2.0.3?
> >
> > -1, since that is still a point-release from the original 2.0
>
> IIRC, the deprecation -> removal cycle was defined on this list as
> "deprecate, wait 3-4-5-6 month, remove", but was not tied to the version
> numbering.
>
> Am I wrong?

No, you're right.

My logic was thus:

2.0.2 -> 2.0.3
  should be a relatively painless upgrade, mainly bugfixes, few new features.

2.0.x -> 2.1
  will require some effort to adapt to new changes.

Why not lump in with the 2.1 changes and remove one less (potential) hurdle
in a 2.0.x -> 2.0.3 upgrade.

I guess I'm more -0. The change won't impact me, but why not wait for 2.1 to
impact those that will be.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

RE: [VOTE] Remove MatcherFactories, SelectorFactories

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> All,
>
> Matcher and selector factories are deprecated as of 2.0rc2. Please cast
> your votes:
>
> Shall we remove them from 2.0.3?
>
> Shall we remove them from 2.1?

Let's remove them for 2.1

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: [VOTE] Remove MatcherFactories, SelectorFactories

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@vern.chem.tu-berlin.de>.

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> [...]

-1

> Let's make as less changes as possible
>

> > Shall we remove them from 2.1?
> >
> +1

+1

Deprecated classes should be as fast as possible be removed, because
these classes confuses the user, including me.

Stephan Michels.

RE: [VOTE] Remove MatcherFactories, SelectorFactories

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

+1

Carsten