Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by ab...@diginexus.com on 2003/06/13 19:32:57 UTC

CVSWeb

Has anybody had any luck with CVSWeb and Subversion.  I see it mentioned but
I've seen no real data on it.

Is there such an interface that people use?

	Thanks,
		Alex

Re: CVSWeb

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
abrown@diginexus.com writes:

> Has anybody had any luck with CVSWeb and Subversion.  I see it mentioned but
> I've seen no real data on it.
>
> Is there such an interface that people use?

Check out the latest (CVS) version of ViewCVS.  It supports Subversion
repositories.  That's what everyone uses.

Re: CVSWeb

Posted by Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl...@wasmer.ca>.
> > > CVSWeb has been surpassed in functionality and maintainability by Greg
> > > Stein's ViewCVS, and I've added support for Subversion to ViewCVS.
> >
> > what protocol is used to access the repository?
> > If it's file:// then we loose all the great access control provided by
> > Apache :-(
>
> Huh?
>
> CVSWeb and ViewCVS are both CGI scripts that run in a web server.  You
> point your web browser at URIs to the cgi scripts (with particular
> query strings), and various views of the repository are displayed.
>
> So the protocol used is HTTP.
>
> Ahhh... I think I understand your question.  You're asking "does
> ViewCVS have any authorization controls?"   Right?

I guess one could create the following section in httpd.conf
<Location path/to/viewCVS/cgi>
with the same Auth settings as for the SVN Location section.

Or even better, using Location with a regular expression and combining the
auth settings for SVN and ViewCVS in one section (no redundancy).

As anyone ever tried this?

JL

Re: CVSWeb

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
"Jean-Luc Wasmer" <jl...@wasmer.ca> writes:

> > CVSWeb has been surpassed in functionality and maintainability by Greg
> > Stein's ViewCVS, and I've added support for Subversion to ViewCVS.
>
> what protocol is used to access the repository?

HTTP.  ViewCVS and CVSWeb are CGI scripts.  As for access control,
yes, you will lose that if you expose your repository via ViewCVS.

Re: CVSWeb

Posted by Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl...@wasmer.ca>.
> CVSWeb has been surpassed in functionality and maintainability by Greg
> Stein's ViewCVS, and I've added support for Subversion to ViewCVS.

what protocol is used to access the repository?
If it's file:// then we loose all the great access control provided by
Apache :-(

JL

Re: CVSWeb

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
abrown@diginexus.com writes:

> Has anybody had any luck with CVSWeb and Subversion.  I see it mentioned but
> I've seen no real data on it.

CVSWeb has been surpassed in functionality and maintainability by Greg
Stein's ViewCVS, and I've added support for Subversion to ViewCVS.  I
have no intentions of doing what I feel would be a "backport" of that
functionality to CVSWeb, especially since I doubt that Subversion's
Perl bindings are anywhere near as mature as its Python bindings.