Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/01/14 11:07:02 UTC

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

usr local wrote:
> Looks like they won't package subversion 1.1.2 until
> there is an official patch from the subversion team to
> fix the perl bindings build:

> Someone posted an unofficial patch but it seems to be
> ignored because it isn't official patch from
> subversion team.
>
> Can someone on the subversion team help?  The
> changelog for 1.1.2 lists bugfixes that sound very
> important.

This really begs the question - why haven't we released a 1.1.3 already?

Version numbers are cheap.

We shouldn't force the users of the Perl bindings to deal with this problem
until we get around to another routine bugfix release.

Max.

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org>.
On Jan 14, 2005, at 23:08, Ben Reser wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:19:37PM +0000, Barry Scott wrote:
>> I hope you release policy including test compiling the code now
>> at-least on windows and one of the linux platforms.

Will any compile testing be done in future before releasing source code?

>> Binaries for 1.1.2 have shown up for few platforms, at least when I
>> checked a few days ago. I'm suspecting that this bug is a part of the
>> reason.
>>
>> Nothing for mandrake, Fedora core 2, (fc3 ok), Mac fink (only none
>> ssl).
>
> I can't speak for the other platforms.  But I produce the packages for
> Mandrake.  I didn't bother to produce 1.1.2 packages because we planned
> on releasing 1.1.3 earlier...
>
> I often skip packaging releases for various reasons.  I'm sure other
> packagers do.  Don't try to read too much into that.  Sometimes it's
> about time, sometimes it's just about known scheduling.

Given the importance of the fixes in 1.1.12 that improve GUI performance
it is sad that a month after releasing 1.1.12 few can take advantage of
the work you have all done.

Barry

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

Posted by Christian Schaffner <ch...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On 14.01.2005, at 22:19, Barry Scott wrote:

> I hope you release policy including test compiling the code now
> at-least on windows and one of the linux platforms.
>
> Binaries for 1.1.2 have shown up for few platforms, at least when I
> checked a few days ago. I'm suspecting that this bug is a part of the
> reason.
>
> Nothing for mandrake, Fedora core 2, (fc3 ok), Mac fink (only none
> ssl).

Just to clarify: Fink has a ssl version. And 1.1.2 was released some
time ago:

<http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/search.php?s=svn-ssl>
<http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/search.php?s=svn-client>

Chris.

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

Posted by Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org>.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jan 14, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Ben Reser, our RM, seemed to think it wasn't worth releasing a 1.1.3
> just to fix the perl bindings.  Well, here's a good reason.

Ouch, I totally misunderstood here.  Ben Reser was actually waiting for
more votes and inertia from other developers;  he never objected to the
idea.  I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:08:53AM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Ben Reser, our RM, seemed to think it wasn't worth releasing a 1.1.3
> just to fix the perl bindings.  Well, here's a good reason.

Uhh I thought it was worth a release.  Planned to do it a long time ago.
And then nobody voted for the changes to fix it.  Once they finally
voted I just never got around to it.  Partly, becuase I really need to
fix the bindings to work with the newer SWIG, since Mandrake now ships
them.  So until we do that, we're still going to be blocked by some
distributions.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jan 14, 2005, at 5:48 AM, Martin Tomes wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> usr local wrote:
>>> Looks like they won't package subversion 1.1.2 until
>>> there is an official patch from the subversion team to
>>> fix the perl bindings build:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=288344
>>>
>>> Someone posted an unofficial patch but it seems to be
>>> ignored because it isn't official patch from
>>> subversion team.
>>>
>>> Can someone on the subversion team help?  The
>>> changelog for 1.1.2 lists bugfixes that sound very
>>> important.
>> This really begs the question - why haven't we released a 1.1.3
>> already?
>> Version numbers are cheap.
>> We shouldn't force the users of the Perl bindings to deal with this
>> problem until we get around to another routine bugfix release.
>
> +1

Ben Reser, our RM, seemed to think it wasn't worth releasing a 1.1.3
just to fix the perl bindings.  Well, here's a good reason.

(I'm also tired of telling people which revisions to fetch & apply to
fix the problem.  If we're not going to release a 1.1.3, then we should
at least post a "official" patch in the FAQ.)

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> usr local wrote:
>> Looks like they won't package subversion 1.1.2 until
>> there is an official patch from the subversion team to
>> fix the perl bindings build:

>> Someone posted an unofficial patch but it seems to be
>> ignored because it isn't official patch from
>> subversion team.
>>
>> Can someone on the subversion team help?  The
>> changelog for 1.1.2 lists bugfixes that sound very
>> important.
>
> This really begs the question - why haven't we released a 1.1.3 already?
>
> Version numbers are cheap.
>
> We shouldn't force the users of the Perl bindings to deal with this
> problem until we get around to another routine bugfix release.

+1

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

The Subversion Wiki is at http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: subversion 1.1.2 blocked in debian until..

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.