Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Michael Papp <mk...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/18 21:39:52 UTC

Open Social Provider Interface

Hi All,

One question to the group:  The Shindig documents mention an "Open Social
Provider Interface" for use in connecting a social network's internal
services with the Shindig server's Open Social implementation.  I can't say
I have looked at every line of code in the project, and there is a variety
of scaffolding in place where one might 'hook into' the Shindig code.  I was
wondering if anyone might want to (briefly - not to be a burden) illuminate
the subject of how the project "approved" method of utilizing or
implementing the service provider interface is supposed to work.  Thanks in
advance!

--
Michael Papp
mkpapp@gmail.com

Re: Open Social Provider Interface

Posted by Cassie <do...@apache.org>.
Michael - The stuff I am working on (in the social directory) isn't fully
done yet, but you can try it out by just implemented the three "service"
interfaces. For an example of ho to do that you can look at the
samplecontainer's file backed data in

social/samplecontainer/*

Once this stuff is fully ready I will write up some docs about it. In the
meantime it will probably just be going through some refactoring and
interfaces changes.

- Cassie

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Michael Papp <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> One question to the group:  The Shindig documents mention an "Open Social
> Provider Interface" for use in connecting a social network's internal
> services with the Shindig server's Open Social implementation.  I can't
> say
> I have looked at every line of code in the project, and there is a variety
> of scaffolding in place where one might 'hook into' the Shindig code.  I
> was
> wondering if anyone might want to (briefly - not to be a burden)
> illuminate
> the subject of how the project "approved" method of utilizing or
> implementing the service provider interface is supposed to work.  Thanks
> in
> advance!

There are two parts to this, and they're slightly different:

- Infrastructure connection: If you need to use your own shared cache
infrastructure or the like, you'll want to create your own CrossServletState
and modify the web.xml to point to it.
- OpenSocial data (friend graph, app data, etc.): You can talk to some back
end directly in javascript at present. Cassie Doll is actively developing a

--
~Kevin