Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2008/03/15 10:58:47 UTC

[build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Sorry to bounce around, just bringing this back to the dev list...

Tharindu Mathew (JIRA) wrote:
> Yes I found another the same dependency duplicated at another
> location. Is there a way to make for Ant to look into multiple
> repositories when retrieving dependencies like maven2.
>
> Can Ant be structured in a more OOP way? Or has it been considered to
> switch to maven2 as the build system?

We are not about to switch to Maven, but it may be worth investigating
Apache Ivy for dependency management.

I think we actually have quite simple dependencies so not sure if we
need it (but I've not got much familiarity with Ivy).

Regards,
Tim

Re: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathan Beyer wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  > What did you have to download manually? The dependency downloads are
> >>  > all automated via Ant targets. If that's not working, then it's a
> bug
> >>  > or issue we need to resolve.
> >>  >
> >>  Yes, I've included them in the bug. This specific location gives a
> corrupted
> >>  version.
> >
> > Did the checksum fail? We probably need to notify that team of the
> > corruption as well.
>
> I just tried downloading it again, and got a short version (4.8Mb
> instead of 6.7Mb) so it failed our MD5 checksum.  However, our checksum
> matches the one on the download site [1] so there is a problem.
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/j/Xerces-J-bin.2.9.1.zip.md5
>
> >>  >
> >>  > Maven doesn't have any magical solution for mirror usage.
> >>  >
> >>  Well it's not magic. But I noticed you have hardcoded all the
> locations of
> >>  the needed jars.
> >>  Dependency management is much easier in maven. If you include multiple
> >>  repos, it will check all of them for the jar needed. and the checksum
> >>  doesn't also needed to be hardcoded.
> >
> > Actually, Maven's no different. Generally you don't put any repos in a
> > POM; all dependencies are downloaded from the central repo
> > (repo1.maven.org), which is hardcoded in the code. The checksums are
> > just as hardcoded, but instead of in the client scripts, they are in a
> > files in the repo.
>
> Agreed.  I see no material difference in us hard coding the name,
> version, and MD5 file location rather than the actual MD5 itself.
>
> > As someone else mentioned, all of this dependency management is also
> > available in Ivy, but without all of the rest of Maven. The dependency
> > management bits of Maven might help the Harmony build, but all of the
> > other "conventions" that Maven uses would prevent many other parts of
> > the build; such as running tests on a JRE that you just built. Nothing
> > against Maven, but Harmony's really the edge case that Maven doesn't
> > worry about.

I see. I didn't think about that since it slipped my mind that Hrmony needs
to run test from its own JRE. I understand why you intend to skip maven or
try Ivy.

> In this case it appears that there really is a problem with the download
> site, so our dependency management is working well <g>.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Tharindu

Re: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What did you have to download manually? The dependency downloads are
> all automated via Ant targets. If that's not working, then it's a bug
> or issue we need to resolve.

Yes, I've included them in the bug. This specific location gives a corrupted
version.

> Maven doesn't have any magical solution for mirror usage.

Well it's not magic. But I noticed you have hardcoded all the locations of
the needed jars.
Dependency management is much easier in maven. If you include multiple
repos, it will check all of them for the jar needed. and the checksum
doesn't also needed to be hardcoded.

> -Nathan
>
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm also not familiar with Ivy.
> >
> >  I suggested maven because of the dependency management. You can
> automate it.
> >  The biggest problem I had with this build was having to download
> several
> >  dependencies by myself and finding mirror repositories. These problems
> are
> >  pretty much solved in maven.
> >

> >  On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  > Sorry to bounce around, just bringing this back to the dev list...
> >  >
> >  > Tharindu Mathew (JIRA) wrote:
> >  > > Yes I found another the same dependency duplicated at another
> >  > > location. Is there a way to make for Ant to look into multiple
> >  > > repositories when retrieving dependencies like maven2.
> >  > >
> >  > > Can Ant be structured in a more OOP way? Or has it been considered
> >  > > switch to maven2 as the build system?
> >  >
> >  > We are not about to switch to Maven, but it may be worth
> investigating
> >  > Apache Ivy for dependency management.
> >  >
> >  > I think we actually have quite simple dependencies so not sure if we
> >  > need it (but I've not got much familiarity with Ivy).
> >  >
> >  > Regards,
> >  > Tim
> >  >
> >  >

> >  --
> >  Regards,
> >
> >  Tharindu

Tharindu

Re: [build] build error due to failing dependency zip (HARMONY-5609)

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
I'm also not familiar with Ivy.

I suggested maven because of the dependency management. You can automate it.
The biggest problem I had with this build was having to download several
dependencies by myself and finding mirror repositories. These problems are
pretty much solved in maven.

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to bounce around, just bringing this back to the dev list...
>
> Tharindu Mathew (JIRA) wrote:
> > Yes I found another the same dependency duplicated at another
> > location. Is there a way to make for Ant to look into multiple
> > repositories when retrieving dependencies like maven2.
> >
> > Can Ant be structured in a more OOP way? Or has it been considered to
> > switch to maven2 as the build system?
>
> We are not about to switch to Maven, but it may be worth investigating
> Apache Ivy for dependency management.
>
> I think we actually have quite simple dependencies so not sure if we
> need it (but I've not got much familiarity with Ivy).
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Tharindu