Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> on 2007/11/05 17:50:27 UTC

Re: UIMA Sandbox releases

Marshall Schor wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>
>> Hi Marshall,
>>
>> as usual, my view is pretty much the exact opposite ;-)
>>
>> First of all, I don't see the sense in creating yet another
>> category.  To my mind, there's nothing wrong with having
>> mature components in the sandbox.  The only thing I would
>> consider is to move some sandbox components that are really
>> important to people into the core.
>>

> I think people might feel that the sandbox isn't a place to get
> production-quality things, and I was hoping that some of these
> components were production-quality :-)

I think Thilo raised a good point here. We still have an "empty
framework" that does not provide any linguistic functionality out of the
box. So maybe we should think about moving sandbox components that are
ready to use and are important for most of the UIMA users to the core.
We could than also provide some more out of the box analytics by
combining the components.

For all the other Sandbox components that are ready to use but are not
relevant for most of the UIMA users we can consider to do a separate
release for each component. I guess the release cycles are larger for
those components so that we do not have so much Sandbox component releases.

Opinions?

-- Michael

Re: UIMA Sandbox releases

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Sounds good to me... especially the suggestion with the component
versions that does not change if there is no change!

The other thing I would like to mention again is that from my
perspective the Sandbox is a place for playing around with new ideas and
technologies. But if one of the Sandbox components is ready to use in
"production" I think the component should be moved to the core
framework. So users get an impression what kind of components are still
in a development/test phase and what kind of components are "ready to
use in production". Also this approach helps us to no longer have to
provide an "empty framework" without any analysis components.

So I'm fine with releasing the CasEditor for now as a single Sandbox
component.
We could also consider to release some of the annotators in a Sandbox
annotator bundle.

-- Michael

Re: UIMA Sandbox releases

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.