Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Arun Chaitanya <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/02 04:19:50 UTC

Re: 10000+ CF support from Cassandra

Thanks Jon and Jack,

> I strongly advise against this approach.
Jon, I think so too. But so you actually foresee any problems with this
approach?
I can think of a few. [I want to evaluate if we can live with this problem]

   - No more CQL.
   - No data types, everything needs to be a blob.
   - Limited clustering Keys and default clustering order.

> First off, different workloads need different tuning.
Sorry for this naive question but how important is this tuning? Can this
have a huge impact in production?

> You might want to consider a model where you have an application layer
that maps logical tenant tables into partition keys within a single large
Casandra table, or at least a relatively small number of  Cassandra tables.
It will depend on the typical size of your tenant tables - very small ones
would make sense within a single partition, while larger ones should have
separate partitions for a tenant's data. The key here is that tables are
expensive, but partitions are cheap and scale very well with Cassandra.
We are actually trying similar approach. But we don't want to expose this
to application layer. We are attempting to hide this and provide an API.

> Finally, you said "10 clusters", but did you mean 10 nodes? You might
want to consider a model where you do indeed have multiple clusters, where
each handles a fraction of the tenants, since there is no need for separate
tenants to be on the same cluster.
I meant 10 clusters. We want to split our tables across multiple clusters
if above approach is not possible. [But it seems to be very costly]

Thanks,

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
I would say that it's mostly a performance issue, tied to memory
management, but the main problem is that a large number of tables invites a
whole host of clluster management difficulties that require... expert
attention, which then means you need an expert to maintain and enhance it.

Cassandra scales in two ways: number of rows and number of nodes, but not
number of tables. Both number of tables and number of columns per row need
to be kept moderate for your cluster to be manageable and perform well.

Adding a tenant ID to your table partition key is the optimal approach to
multi-tenancy at this stage with Cassandra. That, and maybe also assigning
subsets of the tenants to different tables, as well as having separate
clusters if your number of tenants and rows gets too large.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Arun Chaitanya <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jack,

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.