Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2011/12/21 20:02:46 UTC

Fonts on "new" site

Hi all,

first of, congratulations to everyone involved on rolling out the new
sites, and documentation. Well done!

The site looks great on my Mac, but it's not so great on my Fedora based
Linux system. It used to, but not any more. I'm wondering if there's
some improvements we can do to the font selection, such that it works
well on all three "common" platforms? Windows, Mac and Linux? I know the
site used to look ok on Linux, so it must be possible :). [Fwiw, the
font on my Linux looks tiny, are very blurry, and generally just doesn't
look good].

Cheers,

-- Leif

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 12/21/2011 08:02 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The site looks great on my Mac, but it's not so great on my Fedora based Linux system. It used to, but not any more.

Right. Particularly small letter 'g' looks weird.
Tested both on Chrome and FF on FC14, FC16 and RHEL6.
IE9 renders that pretty good as well as FF 3.6 on Solaris.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by zoe slattery <ap...@gmail.com>.

Yes - that's better.

> As for the fonts: I find the sans-serif -- at least
> for the docs, not quite fitting. Serifs are far
> easier on the eyes for longer reads.
No strong views either way.

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif
>
> I'd think that getting a custom font download from google (ie, the
> fonts.googleapis.com line) is more likely to cause problems than
> relying on a CSS fallback mechanisms.
>
> I made that modification in http://trafficserver.staging.apache.org/
> (+modified the download button).  Reactions?

+1 on the download button!

As for the fonts: I find the sans-serif -- at least
for the docs, not quite fitting. Serifs are far
easier on the eyes for longer reads.

> miles

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by Miles Libbey <ml...@yahoo.com>.
Right-- the old site used

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by zoe slattery <ap...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by Miles Libbey <ml...@apache.org>.

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by zoe slattery <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I know you guys did a lot of work on the docs and it is much appreciated!

I did see some broken links to the doxygen:
http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/trunk/sdk/http-headers/link/to/doxygen

I used the link checker at w3c and found a few more:
http://validator.w3.org/checklink

-Bryan

Re: Fonts on "new" site

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
Putting Zoë on CC, who did a great deal of the new CSS

> first of, congratulations to everyone involved on rolling out the new
> sites, and documentation. Well done!
>
> The site looks great on my Mac, but it's not so great on my Fedora
> based
> Linux system. It used to, but not any more. I'm wondering if there's
> some improvements we can do to the font selection, such that it works
> well on all three "common" platforms? Windows, Mac and Linux? I know
> the
> site used to look ok on Linux, so it must be possible :). [Fwiw, the
> font on my Linux looks tiny, are very blurry, and generally just
> doesn't
> look good].

I think it looks fairly well on my ubuntu, but I have installed
ALL THE FONTS.

ttf-mscorefonts-installer << This one, among others.

Here's how it looks for me (in Opera):

   http://blag.esotericsystems.at/igor/sees/ats-on-linux

> Cheers,
>
> -- Leif