Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com> on 2014/12/18 10:26:21 UTC

Hive UDFs?

Hi experts, I heard that if I want to use Hive UDFs, I must deploy the jars to all the machines that are running Hive (which is painful to me..)
After reading this<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HivePlugins> I didn't find any document talking about this - could someone help to answer the following questions:

1.       Do I really need to do so(deploy UDF jars to all the machines and then use it)?

2.       Is there a possibility that I could use other language (rather than java) to write those UDFs?

Thanks!

Xiaoyong

RE: Hive UDFs?

Posted by Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com>.
+ Rathish

Xiaoyong

Posted by Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com>.
I see, thanks!

Xiaoyong

You only need the jar on the computer where you execute the hive command , not on all cluster nodes

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com>> wrote:
Thanks!
For Q1 - is there a way that Hive helps me to automatically do this (for example, I can register the UDF somewhere and the UDF gets automatically distributed)? Or I need to login to each node to ensure this happens?

Xiaoyong

Q 1 :- You need to deploy the jar in the server where your hive is running.
Q 2 :- Which language you are looking instead of Java ? . As per my understanding you can write UDF functions in python also ( I have not tried this from my end )

Regards,
Rathish

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com>> wrote:
> Hi experts, I heard that if I want to use Hive UDFs, I must deploy the
> jars to all the machines that are running Hive (which is painful to
> me..)
>
> After reading this I didn't find any document talking about this -
> could someone help to answer the following questions:
>
> 1.       Do I really need to do so(deploy UDF jars to all the machines and
> then use it)?
>
> 2.       Is there a possibility that I could use other language (rather than
> java) to write those UDFs?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Xiaoyong

-------------------------
Rathish A M
Bangalore

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive UDFs?

Posted by Jason Dere <jd...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive UDFs?

Posted by Stéphane Verlet <ka...@gmail.com>.

RE: Hive UDFs?

Posted by Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com>.
Thanks!
For Q1 - is there a way that Hive helps me to automatically do this (for example, I can register the UDF somewhere and the UDF gets automatically distributed)? Or I need to login to each node to ensure this happens?

Xiaoyong

Q 1 :- You need to deploy the jar in the server where your hive is running.
Q 2 :- Which language you are looking instead of Java ? . As per my understanding you can write UDF functions in python also ( I have not tried this from my end )

Regards,
Rathish

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi experts, I heard that if I want to use Hive UDFs, I must deploy the
> jars to all the machines that are running Hive (which is painful to
> me..)
>
> After reading this I didn’t find any document talking about this –
> could someone help to answer the following questions:
>
> 1.       Do I really need to do so(deploy UDF jars to all the machines and
> then use it)?
>
> 2.       Is there a possibility that I could use other language (rather than
> java) to write those UDFs?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Xiaoyong

-------------------------
Rathish A M
Bangalore

Re: Hive UDFs?

Posted by Rathish A M <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Xiayong,

Q 1 :- You need to deploy the jar in the server where your hive is running.
Q 2 :- Which language you are looking instead of Java ? . As per my
understanding you can write UDF functions in python also ( I have not
tried this from my end )

Regards,
Rathish

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Xiaoyong Zhu <xi...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi experts, I heard that if I want to use Hive UDFs, I must deploy the jars
> to all the machines that are running Hive (which is painful to me..)
>
> After reading this I didn’t find any document talking about this – could
> someone help to answer the following questions:
>
> 1.       Do I really need to do so(deploy UDF jars to all the machines and
> then use it)?
>
> 2.       Is there a possibility that I could use other language (rather than
> java) to write those UDFs?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Xiaoyong

Rathish A M