Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ju...@gmx.de on 2002/09/05 11:50:36 UTC

RE: RE: RE: Problems with class loader

Hi Charlie,

You are right saying that it is a consequence of how classes are loaded....
Still, this can be an error... ;-)

I think I could live with the fact that as long as the "container" of the
serialized classes was just a HashTable.  This would, of course, require
that I always keep the current version of the HashTable.class file in my
application (where is definitely does not belong: but we agree on this)..

What makes me feel a little unconfortable is the following: I can readily
do something like this:

   hashTable.add(new PrivateInfo());

but I cannot do:

   hashTable.add(new PrivateInfo());
   hashTable = deserialize(serialize(hashTable));

just a few lines later (which should almost be a no-op).  Though I can
explain this because I know what happens in detail, I have a hard time to
explain this to someone who is not into so many technical details as we
are...

What I would expect from this code is the following: when an Object is read
off a stream, the classloader in charge should be the application
classloader.  The same classloader should be loading and instantiating all
remaining classes.  This way, I would behave the same as having written the
instantiation code myself.

Having written this, I just realized that this could break code: I some
common library would depend on knowing that some of its dependend classes
are loaded by the same classloader, and the same class - well, not really
the same, but rather similar, but with the same name - would be also part
of the application, we would break existing code. :-(

Conclusion for the time being: the topic is (1) compex, (2) difficult, (3)
not so easy to come by as hoped/expected.  This is a small deployment
nightmare! :-)

I have to admit: I'm stuck and clue-less as to how to go on... :-(

Jürgen

From: ccox@cincom.com
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:24:14 -0400
Subject: RE: RE: RE: Problems with class loader

I guess I wouldn't consider it a bug, but rather a consequence of how
classes are loaded and which class loader holds the files in question.
But I see your point in that you don't want Hashtable(and more) in all your
webapps...

you can open a bug for this and one of the developers(I'm not a developer)
will look at it. Feel free to include my responses and I will help best I
can.

To restate, the classes stored in the Hashtable(and Vector,etc) would have
to be in the same classloader as the Hashtable(and Vector,etc) when
serializing a class containing a Hashtable.

Classloaders can only delegate requests to one 'parent'. So the common
classloader either delegates to the 'system' classloader(which it does) or
to the 'webapp' classloader(then which one of those?)

I guess you would need to provide more detail as to why this would still be
a problem for you. Other than having the java classes(Hashtable,etc) in
your
webapp instead of in the JVM's Bootstrap and having to maintain this with
each JVM upgrade, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

You *may* be able to move classes that will be in the hashtable to the
/jre/lib/ext directory for your JVM, but that's not ideal either as they
won't be able to see your other classes loaded by tomcat, but those classes
loaded by tomcat will see them.

Charlie

http://www.gmx.net