Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/26 14:46:49 UTC

Git question for the gurus

I get SVN, it works like the other non-open source change management
systems I have worked with in the past. I rarely end up confused by what I
see happening. But I guess I just don't understand Git. I have a fork of
POI on Git Hub JMarkMurphy/poi that I have been keeping synced with the
main apache/poi repository. I do that by creating a pull request and merge
from apache/poi to JMarkMurphy/poi. I do not have any of my updates in
there, just attempts to keep my fork up to date. At this point my
JMarkMurphy/poi is 9 commits ahead of apache/poi. Each time I merge changes
I get another commit ahead. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to
avoid this?

What I want to be able to do is make a branch for a change, and since I
only work on this in fits and starts, merge in apache/poi commits, and then
merge those with my branch to deal with anything that may conflict with my
change, then finally merge my branch back to trunk. Is that reasonable?
Then how do you go about making changes in the Git repository live? Do I
have to export it from Git, and make an SVN change? How do you do that?

Re: Git question for the gurus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Mark,

I find SVN better for me too. It has advantages, but branches are expensive. Your repository is monolithic and you only need the parts you are interested in. Git is distributed and branches are cheap, but it makes procedures more complex and less intuitive. I often feel like I’m going through a glass door where it is not clear if I need to push or pull to open.

I hope these pages from GitHub help:

https://help.github.com/en/articles/syncing-a-fork
https://help.github.com/en/articles/configuring-a-remote-for-a-fork
https://help.github.com/en/articles/pushing-to-a-remote