Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by lucast <lu...@hotmail.com> on 2015/02/19 11:28:07 UTC

URL Encryption in detail

Dear forum,

Reading the Apache Wicket Guide on  URL Encryption in detail
<https://wicket.apache.org/guide/guide/security.html#security_4>  , the
section suggests that simply calling

is not enough for url encryption at production level.

Further down on that section, there is one recommendation of making the url
encryption stronger:

Is simply adding *getSecuritySettings().setCryptFactory(new
KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory())*; line enough to make the URLs on my
application better as suggested on  URL Encryption in detail
<https://wicket.apache.org/guide/guide/security.html#security_4>  ?

My impression is that maybe it isn't since I understand
KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory is the default CryptFactory for the
application.

In addition to this, CryptoMapper(IRequestMapper wrappedMapper,  Application
application) API Doc states that: "For better security it is recommended to
use CryptoMapper(IRequestMapper, IProvider) with a specific ICrypt
implementation that generates a separate key for each user.
KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory provides such an implementation that stores
the key in the HTTP session."

Does the above sentence mean that one ought to implement a CryptProvider
class using KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory or something better/stronger ?

Encryption and security are not my forte and at the same time I admit I am
looking for an out-of-the-box solution where I can just simply carry on
implementing the rest of my wicket app.

Thanks in advance,
Lucas

Re: URL Encryption in detail

Posted by andrea del bene <an...@gmail.com>.
On 19/02/2015 13:23, andrea del bene wrote:

> On 19/02/2015 11:28, lucast wrote:
>> Dear forum,
>>

>> Reading the Apache Wicket Guide on  URL Encryption in detail
>> <https://wicket.apache.org/guide/guide/security.html#security_4> , the
>> section suggests that simply calling
>>
>> is not enough for url encryption at production level.
>>
>> Further down on that section, there is one recommendation of making
>> the url
>> encryption stronger:
>>

>> Is simply adding *getSecuritySettings().setCryptFactory(new
>> KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory())*; line enough to make the URLs on my
>> application better as suggested on  URL Encryption in detail
>> <https://wicket.apache.org/guide/guide/security.html#security_4> ?
>>
>> My impression is that maybe it isn't since I understand
>> KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory is the default CryptFactory for the
>> application.
> Well no, the default one is CachingSunJceCryptFactory which does NOT
> generate a separate key for each user. On the contrary
> KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory creates a different key for each user
> (session). It uses a password-based algorithm to encrypt/decrypt urls
> which is secure enough for this purpose.

Sorry, with Wicket 6.19.0 the default CryptFactory is actually
KeyInSessionSunJceCryptFactory so you are ok with just :

WicketApplication.init() {
   setRootRequestMapper(new CryptoMapper(getRootRequestMapper(), this));
}

you might need to implement you own stronger CryptFactory only if you
are not satisfied with password-based cypher.

Re: URL Encryption in detail

Posted by andrea del bene <an...@gmail.com>.