Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jahlborn <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/07 17:36:00 UTC

question about producer flow control

i have a couple of questions about producer flow control.  i've read a whole
bunch of the documentation and various posts, but there are still some
things not entirely clear to me.

My first question is that i've seen various posts indicating that when it is
enabled, it requires an extra thread _per queue_.  is this true (or still
true)?

my second question is, if i disable producer flow control, what limits are
still in effect?  are the system usage settings still enforced?  if so,
what's the difference between enabling flow control and disabling it?

thanks,
-james

Re: question about producer flow control

Posted by jahlborn <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update.  Having an extra thread per destination worries me,
but running without limits worries me way more, so i guess i will have to
accept that for now.  I couldn't track down where in the code those threads
might be generated.  i was wondering if they are dedicated threads or might
use a shared pool.

Re: question about producer flow control

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
On the extra thread per queue, last I checked that was true and would need to
research to see if it has changed.

Disabling Producer Flow Control removes all limits as there is nothing in
place to prevent a producer from sending more messages to the broker
regardless of the limits, and the broker always handles (tries to handle)
messages once it receives them.

Re: question about producer flow control

Posted by jahlborn <ja...@gmail.com>.
Any pointers, links, etc?

Re: question about producer flow control

Posted by jahlborn <ja...@gmail.com>.
Also, what about the per-destination limits, are those enforced?