Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roel De Nijs <ro...@aquafin.be> on 2006/02/02 13:55:46 UTC

The Future of Tomcat

Hi,

I heard that resources, updates, development and support of tomcat are slightly disappearing. MAny people are looking for alternatives (e.g. JBoss). Even Microsoft and HP are cooperating with JBoss very closely. As far as i know Tomcat is the most used app server, so it will take lots of time to replace every Tomcat app server with some alternative.

So does Tomcat have a future or will it die in the future?

Greetz
Roel

Disclaimer: zie www.aquafin.be

Re: The Future of Tomcat

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Tim Funk wrote:

> Sweet sweet flame fodder. Tomcat is as alive as the community of
> developers that are willing to work on it (like any open source project).

I guess you could consider it flame fuel, but it's also a legitimate
question, IMO.  Your answer below looks good to me.

Re: The Future of Tomcat

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: The Future of Tomcat

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
> True, but the HTTP server is still what most people think of when they
> hear the name "Apache".

Probably same people, that think of Applets or Javascript when they
hear the word "Java"?

> Dave

Leon :-)

Re: The Future of Tomcat

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: The Future of Tomcat

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: The Future of Tomcat

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Roel De Nijs wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I heard that resources, updates, development and support of tomcat are slightly disappearing. MAny people are looking for alternatives (e.g. JBoss). Even Microsoft and HP are cooperating with JBoss very closely. As far as i know Tomcat is the most used app server, so it will take lots of time to replace every Tomcat app server with some alternative.
>
>So does Tomcat have a future or will it die in the future?

If I understand correctly, Tomcat and JBoss aren't really equivalent,
and don't aim at the same markets.  Tomcat is a servlet container,
handling servlets, .jsp's and related pieces.  JBoss is a full-blown
J2EE server, which does the same things as tomcat, but also adds support
for the "Enterprice" pieces of J2EE, such as EJB's and the like.  The
price you pay for that extra functionality is extra complexity in
development and maintenance.  It's kind of like the relationship between
Apache and Tomcat:  Tomcat can do all the stuff that Apache can in
serving up static pages, but it's not the best tool for that job.
Apache does a subset of what Tomcat does, and Tomcat does a subset of
what JBoss does.  Somebody please correct me if I'm off base here,
because it also affects my company's future decisions.

That said, everything dies eventually, so you have to decide how far
away your definition of "future" is, and go from there.  I expect Tomcat
will continue to be developed and useful for *at least* 5 more years.
JMPO, of course.

Dave