Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2007/11/12 20:48:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release struts2-archetype-plugin and struts2-archetype-starter version 2.0.11

I've created test builds titled 2.0.11 for the following archetypes:
 * struts2-archetype-plugin - Creates a Struts 2 plugin
 * struts2-archetype-starter - Creates a starter Struts 2 app

Since they are both pretty simple, I'm combining their votes, so:

[ ]  +1 - Release them to the wild
[ ]  +/- 0 - Do the release, but I don't use them
[ ] -1  - Don't release them and here is why...

Don

Re: [VOTE] Release struts2-archetype-plugin and struts2-archetype-starter version 2.0.11

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
+1

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 23, 2007 3:54 AM, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to give these a try, but I don't know where to start.
>
> We have an archetype page here:
>
>  * http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11/docs/struts-maven-archetypes.html
>
> So, I tried running
>
> mvn archetype:create   -DgroupId=tutorial \
>                        -DartifactId=tutorial \
>                        -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.struts \
>                        -DarchetypeArtifactId=struts2-archetype-starter \
>                        -DarchetypeVersion=struts2-archetype-starter  \
>
> -DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
>
> but Maven suggested that I install the artifact.
>
> I see that we have some binaries uploaded here:
>
>  * http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/m2-staging-repository/org/apache/struts/
>
> but I don't know enough about Maven to get those installed locally,
> without building it locally.

Change remoteRepositories to use the repository that contains the
staged archetype, (and fix the archetypeVersion).

This worked:
mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=tutorial -DartifactId=tutorial
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.struts
-DarchetypeArtifactId=struts2-archetype-starter
-DarchetypeVersion=2.0.11
-DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/m2-staging-repository

--
Wendy

Re: [VOTE] Release struts2-archetype-plugin and struts2-archetype-starter version 2.0.11

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'd like to give these a try, but I don't know where to start.

We have an archetype page here:

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11/docs/struts-maven-archetypes.html

So, I tried running

mvn archetype:create   -DgroupId=tutorial \
                       -DartifactId=tutorial \
                       -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.struts \
                       -DarchetypeArtifactId=struts2-archetype-starter \
                       -DarchetypeVersion=struts2-archetype-starter  \

-DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository

but Maven suggested that I install the artifact.

I see that we have some binaries uploaded here:

 * http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/m2-staging-repository/org/apache/struts/

but I don't know enough about Maven to get those installed locally,
without building it locally.

Should we be providing a ZIP that people can install locally to test
the bits, or is there another mechanism that we can use?

-Ted.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
+0

http://raibledesigns.com

Re: [VOTE] Release struts2-archetype-plugin and struts2-archetype-starter version 2.0.11

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Nov 23, 2007 9:07 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This worked:
> mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=tutorial -DartifactId=tutorial
> -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.struts
> -DarchetypeArtifactId=struts2-archetype-starter
> -DarchetypeVersion=2.0.11
> -DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/m2-staging-repository

Thanks! That did it!

As to
>  * struts2-archetype-starter - Creates a starter Struts 2 app

First, this looks excellent!

Though, I'd like to suggest/commit four minor changes

* In struts.xml, rename "myPackage" to "my-package" for consistency
with the "struts-default" naming style.

 * Rename the "jsp" folder "results".

 * Remove "default.jsp" from the list of welcome files, leaving
"index.jsp" and "index.html".

 * Roll the struts.properties file into the struts.xml.

Other tweaks:

Overall, I'd like to consider the struts.properties alternative
deprecated, otherwise we end up with three approaches to configuration
(which is at least one too many!)

Since we can use annotation for type converters, I'd also suggest we
drop the dummy xwork-conversion.properties file.

If we want to bundle log4j with this, that's fine with me, but let's
actually use it. I'd rather that there were no unnecessary files in
the archetype.

On the same not, is the DWR configuration needed for the (so-called)
client-side validation? If its needed, how do we feel about using a
beta here?

Did we mean to drop the messages resources? (Which is fine, we have
them in the MailReader.)

Personally, I'm not a fan of a separate "resources" folder. It seems
easier to put those files at the java source root, so that related
members are closer together (separate by concern, not by species). But
I realize it's one of those things that other people seem to like. :)

Personally, I also like to name the applicatonContext.xml "spring.xml"
(call a bowl, a bowl). But, again, I know that's not the Spring
default convention.

mvn jetty:run turned up a 404 for me. But, I was also having some
issues with AppFuse and jetty:run, so maybe it's just me. I got it up
and running under MyEclipse without difficulty.

I like that we included a sitemesh layout. The sidebar links don't
work for me, but I suppose that's because I'm suppose to fill
something in someplace. (Unless it's just broken.) Since I don't know
what to put where to fix or finish it, I suddenly feel like I'm too
stupid to use Struts 2 :)

At one point, we were trying to align the bootstrap tutorial with the
archetype. If we had an "starter" tutorial that explained how to
change the sitemesh setup, and how to inject a Spring bean, and maybe
how to create a logging statement, I think we'd be good to go. I could
do the Spring part, but I could use a leg-up on our SiteMesh
configuration.

Once this vote passes, for 2.1, I'd like to rename the blank
application to "starter" and make it a checked-in, initialized version
of what the archetype outputs, so that we don't have two codebases to
maintain.

-Ted.

Re: [VOTE] Release struts2-archetype-plugin and struts2-archetype-starter version 2.0.11

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm a little crunched right now, but I will try to take this for a
spin over the next 70 hours or so.