Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2016/09/06 23:36:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Official release dates / DOAP out-of-date

I noticed that there were a few missing releases in our DOAP file, and I
also noticed lots of discrepancies between what's in JIRA as the release
date, when the tag was created, when the announcement was made (and on
which list), what the date was in reporter.apache.org, and what the date
was in DOAP.

There are 3 places we record the "official" release date:
 * doap_Accumulo.rdf
 * JIRA
 * reporter.apache.org

Reporter actually has a sync-to-JIRA feature (but it's off-by-one... I'm
investigating that), and I'd like to just use that feature rather than try
to manually keep things sync'd up there also, so that leaves just 2 places
to update.

There are several sources we can use for the "official" release date:
 * SCM tag date
 * Date uploaded to SVN dist
 * Announce email date
 * Vote date

I don't like using the vote date, because that doesn't say when the release
occurred, just when we agreed on what will comprise the release. SVN dist
might technically be the best date to use, but it's a pain to track that
down, and it typically precedes the announcement by at least 24 hours. I
think I like announce date the best, but we actually forgot to announce on
at least one occasion, and we sometimes announce on different lists (dev@
user@ announce@).

Even if they are wrong, I'd like to sync up these different locations, so
they don't show different dates for a release... and I'd like to decide on
a standard from now on, so we know what a date means, and it doesn't vary
so much.

Re: [DISCUSS] Official release dates / DOAP out-of-date

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Okay, I've updated the DOAP to match the SVN dist upload date (svn commit
timestamp), and added the missing entries.
I then manually updated all the entries in JIRA to reflect the same dates,
and did a sync on reporter.apache.org (which is still a day-off... waiting
for feedback on that from ComDev list).

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Official release dates / DOAP out-of-date

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I would say that things are released when we announce it to the public,
but the entire "official release date" is of no concern to me at all
(dates within a week or two is completely fine to me).

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
I prefer SVN dist date, but I know that isn't the easiest to come by ... I
recall approximating the date on a couple of occasions when i couldn't
figure it out readily. Another possibility is to use the archive,
https://archive.apache.org/dist/accumulo/, assuming that a release hits the
archive on approximately the same date that it is released to dist. Archive
is down sometimes, though.

Anyway, announce date would be fine too if we can't find a way to use the
actual distribution date.