Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Lewis Lin <le...@pchome.com.tw> on 2001/04/19 19:37:03 UTC

Error creating Action instance for path

Hi,
  I have been trying hard to get struts work on my application. I can deploy
struts example in my jboss server without any problem. The problem happens
when I try to write my own Action class. I got this error in my tomcat
container:

Error creating Action instance for path '/searchEntity', class name
'com.fairfin.pms.main.control.web.actions.SearchEntityAction' -
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/struts/action/Action

However, I can run /admin/reload successfully. Which I think my struts in
deployed correctly. Can someone please please help me with this?

Thanks,
Lewis Lin

 PC home §K¶O¹q¤l«H½c¡A¥Ó½Ð½Ð¦Ü: http://www.pchome.com.tw
 PC home Online ºô¸ô®a®x¡@¡@ ·|­û²Ä¤@¡A¥xÆW³Ì¤jªº¤J¤fºô¯¸

Re: Error creating Action instance for path

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Lewis Lin wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have been trying hard to get struts work on my application. I can deploy
> struts example in my jboss server without any problem. The problem happens
> when I try to write my own Action class. I got this error in my tomcat
> container:
>
> Error creating Action instance for path '/searchEntity', class name
> 'com.fairfin.pms.main.control.web.actions.SearchEntityAction' -
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/struts/action/Action

Three likely causes for this kind of problem:

* You have put struts.jar on Tomcat's CLASSPATH (or in the
  $TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory).  That is a no-no.

* Your Action class (SearchEntityAction) is not in WEB-INF/classes
  or WEB-INF/lib of your web app

* Your Action class refers to some other class that is not visible
  in WEB-INF/classes, WEB-INF/lib, or on the CLASSPATH.

> However, I can run /admin/reload successfully. Which I think my struts in
> deployed correctly. Can someone please please help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Lewis Lin

Craig McClanahan

RE: Error creating Action instance for path in .EAR!

Posted by Lewis Lin <le...@pchome.com.tw>.
Hi,
  I think I found what's going on with this error.  I have a J2EE
application which has .war part and ejb.jar part. If I only deploy .war part
of my application, struts works fine. However, after I pack .war with my ejb
components. Struts give me this error message! Could someone please tell me
what I should change if I want struts to work in my .ear package.

Thanks!!
Lewis Lin