Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org> on 2003/12/03 03:29:51 UTC

Maven build: Update

Thanks to Tim & Joe for supplying patches. They made it nice and easy
for me to take that last step and get the tlds generated and into the
jar.

As far as I can tell, the struts jar is now being built correctly and
should be a drop-in replacement for the one generated by the Ant build.
Please feel free to test it and tell me I missed something.

The only difference I'm aware of is that the Manifest is being generated
by Maven rather than being copied from /conf. Does anyone have any views
on whether this is OK, or if we should use the manually maintained
version? BTW, I've just noticed that the /conf version still says
version 1.1. That may be an argument in favour of generating it :-)

Here's where we stand:
1. Generate the TLD files (& docs)
    -- TLDS are done, I'll look at the docs as part of 4. --
2. Run the Cactus tests
3. Build the web apps & contribs
4. Migrate the documentation

I'm going to take a look at Cactus next. There's a nice little section
on using Cactus with Maven in JUnit in Action by Messrs. Massol &
Husted. Let's hope they did a good job explaining it ;-)

Steve

Re: Maven build: Update

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Steve Raeburn wrote:
> Thanks to Tim & Joe for supplying patches. They made it nice and easy
> for me to take that last step and get the tlds generated and into the
> jar.

Ditto for the Tim & Joe kudos. Way to roll up your sleeves, guys :)

> As far as I can tell, the struts jar is now being built correctly and
> should be a drop-in replacement for the one generated by the Ant build.
> Please feel free to test it and tell me I missed something.

I ran a manual web-app test using the Maven JARs over the weekend, and
it seemed just fine. Next I want to do a Canoo WebTest for the example
web-apps to be sure we are running them through their paces.

> The only difference I'm aware of is that the Manifest is being generated
> by Maven rather than being copied from /conf. Does anyone have any views
> on whether this is OK, or if we should use the manually maintained
> version? BTW, I've just noticed that the /conf version still says
> version 1.1. That may be an argument in favour of generating it :-)

+1 for automatic generation.

> Here's where we stand:
> 1. Generate the TLD files (& docs)
>     -- TLDS are done, I'll look at the docs as part of 4. --
> 2. Run the Cactus tests
> 3. Build the web apps & contribs
> 4. Migrate the documentation

I'm up for migrating the documentation if someone doesn't beat me to it.
  I'll post a note here before I sit down to do it.

> I'm going to take a look at Cactus next. There's a nice little section
> on using Cactus with Maven in JUnit in Action by Messrs. Massol &
> Husted. Let's hope they did a good job explaining it ;-)

Vincent does love his Cactus with Maven under Eclipse :)

-Ted.