Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> on 2018/01/11 17:11:08 UTC

[PROPOSE] EOL for supported OSes & Hypervisors

I've cross-posted this as it ultimately effects users more than developers.

I've created a wiki page with the EOL dates from the respective 'vendors' of our main supported hypervisors and mgmt. server OSes.
I've taken End Of Life to be the end of 'mainstream' support i.e. the point at which updates to packages will no longer be available.  And part of the discussion should be whether this EOL date should be moved out to consider end of security patching instead.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/WIP+-+UNOFFICIAL+-+PROPOSAL+-+EOL+Dates

I would like to propose, that as part of the release notes for the forthcoming 4.11 release and as a general announcement, that we declare that:

  *   For any OSes/Hypervisors that are already EOL - we will no longer test/support them from the first release after June 2018 (6 months from now). And they will be removed from codebase (mainly the database) in the first release after Sept 2018 (9 months from now).
  *   We set End Of Support dates and Removal from Code dates for the remaining OSes/Hypervisors.  I propose that End Of Support should be the first release after EOL from the vendor, with code removal taking place in the first release which occurs after 6 months from 'vendor' EOL date.

Thoughts please........

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [PROPOSE] EOL for supported OSes & Hypervisors

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
They would be locked into ACS version 11 if the team incorporated any
dependency on new features from RHEL/CentOS 7 into an ACS version after 11.

I gather that this would give them full support until the beginning of
2020 depending on when the support clock starts for ACS 11.

Would this allow them enough time to get a migration completed?

I suppose that they could find a vendor that would offer them a plan of
extended ACS 11 support to apply security fixes to ACS 11 after it goes
off official LTS support.

If testing on Centos 6 was dropped in the ACS 12 Release Plan without
inclusion of any CentOS 7 dependencies into the actual code, they would
have to do their own testing of RCs  for ACS 12 on CentOS 6  or pay a
support team to do this testing and to modify any installation/upgrade
scripts that will not run on CentOS 6.

So far we are up to 1 possible existing client where this is a problem.

I believe the other client using CentOS 6 did not actually have the
CentOS 6 hosts managed by ACS.

Ron

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Jean-Francois Nadeau <th...@gmail.com>.
+1 On the versions of ACS in the matrix.   I.e. it sounds like today most
production setup runs 4.9 or before and until 4.11 is GA and stabilizes it
sounds like 4.9 is the only good option for a go live today.  Knowing how
long 4.9 would be supported is key.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 9:50 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.
I think there are three pieces in play. First there are guest OSes, second
the management server and third the hypervisors themselves. For the
hypervisors and management server I can see a more stringent set of
requirements. Going by the XenServer experience, legacy guests should
continue to work, but removing any "unsupported" guest OS versions from
template definition should be done.

When communicating end of support status, I've always been a fan of
something which can be quickly understood. e.g. "XenServer support ends six
months after Citrix drops primary support for the version". Then follow
that in a table with a date, but I feel tying it to the "upstream" support
statement more clearly communicates the real dependency.

From a release notes perspective, I'd recommend communicating any impending
support statement change early and often. e.g. For any "upstream" EOL/EOS
statement occurring in the next 12 months we add a notice to the release
notes reminding people of the impending change.

For new versions of things, maybe adopting a statement that within X months
after launch of the dependency we'd have support for it?

-tim

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Eric Green <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
+1 I've updated the page with upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

After 4.11, I think 4.12 (assuming releases by mid of 2018) should remove "declared" (they might still work with 4.12+ but in docs and by project we should officially support them) support for following:

a. Hypervisor:

XenServer - 6.2, 6.5,

KVM - CentOS6, RHEL6, Ubuntu12.04 (I think this is already removed, packages don't work I think?)

vSphere/Vmware - 4.x, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5

b. Remove packaging for CentOS6.x, RHEL 6.x (the el6 packages), and Ubuntu 12.04 (any non-systemd debian distro).

Thoughts, comments?

- Rohit

<https://cloudstack.apache.org>

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
+1!

Do you think it would be the right page to also have debian version used by
the ssvm?

For the management-server section the cloudstack column would list the last
acs version tested on that OS?

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.