Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2012/03/07 12:27:32 UTC

SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

A question for SVN experts: can we create an export or something like
that that puts the trunk version of docs/log-message-tags/ in
the 2.4 branch, so that there exists only 1 canonical version
and it lives in trunk but is "referred" to in the 2.4 branch?

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 07 Mar 2012, at 3:16 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Sure... just let me know what to do...

For docs, you just do this:

svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/docs-build/trunk docs/manual/build

Regards,
Graham

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Mar 7, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Igor Galić wrote:

> svn ps svn:externals 'tags-thingy ^/httpd/httpd/trunk/tags-thingy'

What about the the fact that docs/log-message-tags already
exists? Does that change it?

  btw:, I expect that the actual command is

  svn ps svn:externals 'log-message-tags ^/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/log-message-tags' ??

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:32 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> On 07 Mar 2012, at 1:27 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> A question for SVN experts: can we create an export or something like
>> that that puts the trunk version of docs/log-message-tags/ in
>> the 2.4 branch, so that there exists only 1 canonical version
>> and it lives in trunk but is "referred" to in the 2.4 branch?
>
> Would we ever use this on the v2.4 branch at all?

Sure... assume a case with 2.4.10 and trunk has changed enough
that to fix a bug in 2.4.10, there is no direct backport, but
rather a one-off.

I don't feel strongly one way or another but the previous
situation was untenable.

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 07 Mar 2012, at 1:27 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> A question for SVN experts: can we create an export or something like
> that that puts the trunk version of docs/log-message-tags/ in
> the 2.4 branch, so that there exists only 1 canonical version
> and it lives in trunk but is "referred" to in the 2.4 branch?

Would we ever use this on the v2.4 branch at all?

In theory, nothing should hit v2.4 that isn't already on trunk, and a log message in v2.4 should definitely mirror the same log message in trunk. If I'm understanding this correctly, we're worrying about something that should in theory never be used.

Ideally we just need a README of some kind to indicate briefly how it works, and to look in trunk. We shouldn't encourage v2.4 having messages of it's own.

Regards,
Graham

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
2012/3/7 Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>:

> [...]

With recent versions of Subversion, sure. But regardless, look at
Jim's copy/paste. There is no pegged revision.

Cheers,
-g

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 3/7/2012 5:40 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> svn:externals is only a client-side mechanism. This will not bring
> log-message-tags/ into the branch, and especially not within the tag.

Right, in this case it's fine.

This is a 'for programmer's reference' datum that isn't needed when we
export the tarball, and in fact should be purged on export.

It's needed for day-to-day assignment of error codes, so its state at
any given time isn't relevant, it's most recent state is critical.

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 06:59, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:40 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> svn:externals is only a client-side mechanism. This will not bring
>> log-message-tags/ into the branch, and especially not within the tag.
>>

> Which is fine... docs/log-message-tags isn't part of the
> releasable data for a branch anyway. It's a developer artifact
> only.

Ah! Then the externals solution is Just Fine!

Cheers,
-g

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: SVN question (Was: Re: log-message-tags)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.