Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2011/08/23 03:58:40 UTC

Re: Websites of retired podlings (was Re: Retired podlings with RW SVN access)

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:32:10AM -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Btw, the work is a search and replace on the <body... > tag. I
> generally find one that works on the site content but fails on javadoc
> (as inserting a header into a <frame> system is painful).

I'm glad to hear that munging a TLP website doesn't typically require
extravagant effort.  Nevertheless, tidying up after retired podlings isn't
the most glamourous work, and I think we would do well to minimize the burden
on the valuable volunteers who are willing to step up. ;)

Performing a search and replace isn't a big deal for one page, but doing it
for a lot of pages is a pain, and then the real deal killer is that someone
has to assess whether the result is acceptable and troubleshoot it if it's
not.  What if the podling didn't have it's act together and it turns out that
the existing site had problems?  We wouldn't expect a TLP to be in that
situation under ordinary circumstances, but podlings have problems --
otherwise they'd be TLPs. :)

All in all, I think that it's best if the person doing the retirement doesn't
have to perform any inspection of existing website material.  It's less work
to wipe the site and swap in some sort of known-safe replacement.

Marvin Humphrey