Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adam Aulick <ad...@aulick.net> on 2006/05/25 17:15:45 UTC

Impossibly long disk-grinding on checkout

When checking out a flat directory with a large number of files in it
from a repository on the LAN, after successfully getting all the
files, my client spends an impossibly long time grinding the disk to
no apparent purpose.  There is no network access going on during this
time, and the CPU is idle.  What is going on?

I'm on Windows XP, using the Windows command-line client.  Tortoise
SVN does the same thing, but also pegs the CPU with its TSVNCache.exe
process.

An example case here is the OpenCascade "inc" directory, which
contains about fifteen thousand small files and, after completing the
file fetch, grinds the disk for over half an hour.

  ~Adam

Re: Impossibly long disk-grinding on checkout

Posted by Adam Aulick <ad...@aulick.net>.
On May 25, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Adam> When checking out a flat directory with a large number of
>     Adam> files in it from a repository on the LAN, after successfully
>     Adam> getting all the files, my client spends an impossibly long
>     Adam> time grinding the disk to no apparent purpose.  There is no
>     Adam> network access going on during this time, and the CPU is
>     Adam> idle.  What is going on?
>
> Just a guess, but: perhaps anti-virus software is checking those
> files.

No, I don't run that sort of intrusive anti-virus.

Re: Impossibly long disk-grinding on checkout

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

--
I think the future of the Republic may depend on young
audiences seeing more movies like "Whale Rider" and fewer