Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andre Rubin <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/27 00:55:11 UTC

security-constraint outside web.xml

Hey All,

I'm new here, yada yada yada. I've been trying to find the answer in
the archives, manual, etc, and so far nothing.

What I want to do is to deploy my_app.war with different
security-constraints (for different customers). But I was hoping not
to edit the web.xml file in the war file for each deployment. Is there
a way to configure the security-constraints somewhere else for my_app,
like in a context file somewhere
($CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/my_app.xml) or somewhere
else?

Thanks in advance.

Andre

Re: security-constraint outside web.xml

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: security-constraint outside web.xml

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Andre Rubin [mailto:andre.rubin@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: security-constraint outside web.xml
>
> I want to manage security completely outside my app (outside the war
> file), not just outside web.xml.

I was under the impression that you could store the configuration settings for SecurityFilter anywhere you want, not just inside the webapp structure.  Chris Schultz works on SecurityFilter and is a regular contributer to this list, so he may be able to answer more definitively; however, this is a holiday week in the US, so it may be a while before he can comment.

 - Chuck

Re: security-constraint outside web.xml

Posted by Andre Rubin <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chuck but SecurityFilter does exactly the opposite of what I want:

"Security Filter is intended to be packaged within your web app,
including your realm implementation and supporting classes. This
allows you to deploy your app as a single, deployable unit (war file
or expanded war directory structure) with no additional configuration
of the server environment."

I want to manage security completely outside my app (outside the war
file), not just outside web.xml. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on that
regard.

Andre

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.