Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/02/09 01:30:00 UTC

[classlib:security2] bootclasspath for security tests [HARMONY-58]

I applied patch for HARMONY-58 (thanks Stepan and Tim) and closed the issue.

However, there was a small thing that bugged me.  We were setting the
bootclasspath as follows :

<jvmarg
value="-Xbootclasspath/p:${build.jars.path}/crypto.jar${path.separator}${build.jars.path}/x_net.jar"/>

which has 2 of the 3 artifacts generated by security2 coming from the
local modules/security2 tree, and the third, security.jar, coming from
deploy/jre/lib/boot.  This isn't healthy.

So I just removed the above line, and now we depend on all three jars
coming from the same place, namely the deploy boot classpath.

I only feel strongly that we are consistent.  We can change from deploy/
to modules/security2 if we need to.

I suspect this will be fine, but it does mean that working in
modules/security2 means that you need to go to top level to re-run the
build to get the jars in the right place.

I think I'll change the local make in modules/security2 to also copy the
generated jars to ../../deploy/jre/lib/boot/....

That way, you can work locally and still do the proper testing w/o
having to out of the module you are working in.  I suspect that this
will be a pattern we repeat in all modules.

geir

Re: [classlib:security2] bootclasspath for security tests [HARMONY-58]

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:

> A while ago I took the old security2 build script and rewrote it to do a
> LUNI build this way (also factoring out the platform-specific parts to
> make it extensible).  Now I'm using Eclipse and got lazy ;-)

I was really trying to use Eclipse, but last night it couldn't do the
simplest bit of refactoring.  I was doing class renaming (to get rid of
the random test naming in security2) and it just had some problem, and
told me to look at the log.  What log?  A log?

So I started IDEA and kept going....

I'll try to go back once I cool down.  While I'm here though I'll see
about getting IDEA to use Harmony...

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I applied patch for HARMONY-58 (thanks Stepan and Tim) and closed the
> issue.
>
> However, there was a small thing that bugged me.  We were setting the
> bootclasspath as follows :
>
> <jvmarg
> value="-Xbootclasspath/p:${build.jars.path}/crypto.jar${path.separator}${build.jars.path}/x_net.jar"/>
>

> which has 2 of the 3 artifacts generated by security2 coming from the
> local modules/security2 tree, and the third, security.jar, coming from
> deploy/jre/lib/boot.  This isn't healthy.
>
> So I just removed the above line, and now we depend on all three jars
> coming from the same place, namely the deploy boot classpath.
>
> I only feel strongly that we are consistent.  We can change from deploy/
> to modules/security2 if we need to.
>
> I suspect this will be fine, but it does mean that working in
> modules/security2 means that you need to go to top level to re-run the
> build to get the jars in the right place.
>
> I think I'll change the local make in modules/security2 to also copy the
> generated jars to ../../deploy/jre/lib/boot/....
>

> That way, you can work locally and still do the proper testing w/o
> having to out of the module you are working in.  I suspect that this
> will be a pattern we repeat in all modules.

This is the right approach.

A while ago I took the old security2 build script and rewrote it to do a
LUNI build this way (also factoring out the platform-specific parts to
make it extensible).  Now I'm using Eclipse and got lazy ;-)

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib:security2] bootclasspath for security tests [HARMONY-58]

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
I agree that we should separate API that provides authorization,
authentication and secure communication into a standalone module.

If there will be no objections I'm going to create a JIRA task to do
separation.

Thanks,
Stepan

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Geir

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>
>> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>>> Hi Geir,

>>> crypto.jar and x_net.jar are not created by the 'main build file' (i.e.
>>> make/build.xml) and they are absent in Harmony boot (deploy/jre/lib/boot)
>>> directory. So the build script from 'security2' builds them and places
>>> explicitly to the bootclasspath.
>>
>> Then this is wrong then, correct?  We should put putting crypto.jar and
>> x_net.jar into the bootclasspath?
>
> s/bootclasspath/jre\/lib\/boot directory/ ?

yes, of course. sorry

>>> If you remove jvmarg line then you need to update additionally
>>> make/build.xml or the build script from 'security2' to put these jars to
>>> Harmony boot directory.
>> Yes - I think that is the sensical way to go as we do want them there,
>> right?
>
> yep
>
>>> I think that we should work out some kind of 'transition procedure' for
>>> substituting security with security2 to be sure that we don't miss
>>> anything
>>> and we are consistent. The first step may be extracting x-net component
>>> because it is quite independent.
>> Don't mix the issues.  Right now, no modules/security code is being built.
>>
>> So - first - any problem with crypto and x_net into bootclasspath?
>
> erm, 'yes' -- I mean 'no', erm -- what's the question?
>
> the JARs should be on the bootclasspath by being built into jre/lib/boot.
>
> Please remember to include the manifest too, the current security.jar
> does not have one and breaks my Eclipse development (I can raise a JIRA
> to say that if you want).

Heh. Ok.  I'll do now.  If I forget, then drop in a JIRA...

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>> Hi Geir,
>>
>>> For the record, I put the jvmarg line back - I did some test class
>>> renaming, and things broke!  I put it back, and all is well.  Dunno.
>>> Leaving there so it doesn't break anyone else.  Will continue to chase
>>> down after dinner
>>>

>> crypto.jar and x_net.jar are not created by the 'main build file' (i.e.
>> make/build.xml) and they are absent in Harmony boot (deploy/jre/lib/boot)
>> directory. So the build script from 'security2' builds them and places
>> explicitly to the bootclasspath.
>

> Then this is wrong then, correct?  We should put putting crypto.jar and
> x_net.jar into the bootclasspath?

s/bootclasspath/jre\/lib\/boot directory/ ?

>> If you remove jvmarg line then you need to update additionally
>> make/build.xml or the build script from 'security2' to put these jars to
>> Harmony boot directory.
>
> Yes - I think that is the sensical way to go as we do want them there,
> right?

yep

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.